1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

replacing speakers in a cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cmhadden, Mar 22, 2011.

1. cmhadden

cmhadden

Im looking to replce the speakers in my cab. Other than choosing 4 new speakers (its a 410) are their any other things that I need to be aware of when upgrading? The speakers that I have chosen are of a higher wattage than that of the current speakers in the cab? So would I just need to change out the speakers or would I also need to upgrade the circut board? Please help?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Please, please read the FAQ atop page one. Power handling is about the least important parameter a driver has! This subject comes up about every couple of days. The answer is aways the same: Just swapping out one driver for another without doing the "science" will only end in a crapshoot!!!!

3. cmhadden

cmhadden

forgive me for being obtuse but i'm pretty new at this and don't really know the lingo. Ive looked over the faq as requested but can't make heads or tails out of any of it.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Just these:
    Understanding Loudspeaker Data | Eminence Speaker

And that's just for the low frequency response. You have to use manufacturer data sheet SPL charts to compare the mids and highs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Advice #1: Replace them with the same speaker that's in there.

Advice #2: If you don't do #1, get help with matching the speaker's performance characteristics to the size of the cabinet - you could replace them and end up with a cab that won't perform because the speakers are not well suited to the enclosure. In other words, read the FAQ and Bill's link above until you DO understand them!!

Advice #3: See #1

Repeat as needed. You really need to tailor any replacements to your specific enclosure - and you didn't provide brand, model or other info.

(Not trying to be mean about this, but some homework will benefit you personally and will help you in the future.)

7. cmhadden

cmhadden

ok so assuming I replace the speakers with the same. The cab it rated at 200watts at 8ohms. The head I have can send 500 watts at 4 and 8 ohms. If I pair the 200 watt cab with a 600 watt cab both being 8 ohm cabs the over all load would be 500 watts at 4 ohms. A-would I be in danger of blowing the 200 watt cab if ran in conjunction with the 600 watt cab? And would it make any difference if I ran them in series or parallel?

8. BassmanPaul

you could mention just what cabinet we're talking about here. If you measure the internal dimensions and ports, if any, and slot them into WinISD it might help you decide on a suitable driver. Post them and possibly someone can help you with this.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Watts are moot. What limits output is the driver displacement (T/S spec Vd). You can easily have a 200 watt rated cab that can take more power than a 600 watt rated cab before reaching excursion limits, so 'watt matching' simply doesn't work.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 and on top of all that, your 500 watt amp can potentially blow the drivers in an 800 watt cab, just as easily as a 200 watt cab. There is much to learn.

11. BassmanPaul

There y' go, fixed it for ya! :D

12. steamthief

steamthief

When you have the drivers out of the box, if you notice bare wood on the interior of the cab, apply some damping.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Exactly what I was thinking when I typed it. And, so true.