1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Replacing the bridge on a Traben: Possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Nov 17, 2012.

1. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I have a Traben Torrent, and I love the sound on the thing, the neck and the scale length are comfortable for me too. I have a problem though. The bridge on this thing is HIDEOUS . Would it be possible to get rid of that bridge and replace it with a Badass III? The Traben's got a string through body, and I'm pretty sure the Badass is a string through bridge. And what about the holes from the screws from the original bridge? Could those be filled in?

Thanks! :)
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm no expert but it looks like it's just screws holding it in place. I can't imagine they glued it on or anything. So pop the screws off and see what's under the thing. Measure the screw spacing for the main anchor screws and compare the measurements to some bridges you like. If none of them match up, be very careful about what you do next. A bridge not lining up will ruin everything.

Here's another thought. Pop that bad boy off. Grind off the crap you don't like and put it back on! If you can't do it, call a couple of machine shops and see if they will. I would bet you that either you can or they will pretty cheap. Once it's ground off just polish the edges a little bit and BAMMO! And then you can put the factory bridge, minus the crap you hate, right back in the same holes.
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

eehhh, even if you did remove the excess "decorative" parts of the traben bridge, you'd probably have marks in the paint as well as extra screw holes from where it used to be.

it would totally be an uphill battle.
  5. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That bridge is begging to be put on a band saw.
    saw off the ugly parts, file the edges smooth and it will be nice.
    There are not any screws in the flames.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

How do those basses sound I'm curious about them?
  7. line6man

line6man

Modifying the bridge means you need to have it re-plated. More trouble than it's worth.

And I agree with walterw, there will be holes to deal with, and probably indentations on the surface of the bass, or other damage to the finish.
  8. walterw

if not screw holes then indentations and blemishes in the finish probably. +1 to the plating going to hell as soon as you start cutting.

as for the sound, the ones with the big humbucker are OK, but that pickup is so close to the bridge that it sounds kinda twangy no matter how much you boost the bass EQ.

it would have sounded a lot better in the correct MM location, i think.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

You and walterw make good points HOWEVER....

You will never know until you pop that baby off and have a look. There may be NO markings under the bridge and NO screws in the big ugly part. And if the wood looks good, and the guy hates the bridge, a couple of tiny filler holes with a little bit of semi-matching paint and nobody more that 3 feet away will ever know you did it.

Giver it a shot OP! Unless the glued the flame part onto the body (which would make absolutely no sense) you have nothing to lose. Pop it off and start a new thread with pics of what's under there. I'll bet you aren't the only Traben owner who has thought about this and you could be helping out dozens of guys.

Ready go!
  10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

There are no screws in the flames of that model.
    It would be $35-45 to have it re chromed. Much cheaper then using a aftermarket bridge and having to fill the old screw holes and drilling new ones.

[​IMG]
  11. walterw

oh OK, that one's not so bad!

i'm thinking of some versions where the "bridgeplate" covers half the body!
  12. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I love how it sounds. It's very versatile and it can do anything I need it to. That being said, I do wish the bridge pickup was further from the bridge.

And thanks for the advice guys, I'll pop the bridge off when I get a chance and see what I can do!