1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

replacing the bridge on my hondo pro II

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hydrohydra, Dec 19, 2013.

1. hydrohydra

hydrohydra

the bridge on my tokai built hondo is giving my some issues adjusting my action on my bridge, it also looks like two of the saddle pieces that hold the ball on the end of the string are the wrong sizes, these two strings are much higher than the rest. it stays in tune but i need all of string at the same height, i was looking the hipshot supertone three point bridge for gibson but im not sure if its going to fit because the original bridge is routed down into the body like a pickup, its also arch top shaped bridge i dont know if the supertone is straight or arched, or if it matters. heres some photos.

Attached Files:

2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Somebody screwed (forced) the two rear bolts down without lowering the front one and bent that bridge. IMO.

Measure the distance between the two rear bolts and see if a Hipshot Supertone bridge will fit. They are drop in replacement for that type bridge on Gibsons and Epiphones.

It may or may not work because of bolt spread and the fact that there is a routed depression for the bridge on your bass.
  3. hydrohydra

hydrohydra

Yeah I'm gonna measure today see what I can do, I love this bass and I'm gonna do what needs to be done fix it
  4. hydrohydra

hydrohydra

Did the measurements for the supertone, it should fit but if not I might have to routed the bridge cavity wider length wise and height wise, also at that point I'd have to offer the finish up to the bass gods and think of another color, I'm not really sweating it though consider i think I could get something nicer than the current finish.
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If a standard Epi 3-point will fit, that might be an economical replacement. (Assuming the original is bent as described above.) Many 3-point bridges are grossly mis-adjusted by folks who haven't taken time to learn how to adjust them.

You also need to clean up your strings. The silks should not extend over the bridge saddles.
  6. clive shakedown

clive shakedown Supporting Member

How exactly do you set up a three point bridge?
  7. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Adjust all bolts the same turns to keep it level. Move to where your E has the action you want. Then adjust the g side. Then make sure the front bolt is keeping the bridge level and the rear lugs are seated well on the rear bolts. Never allow the bridge to slope down toward the front bolt. A slight slope down to the rear is fine and I always leave a bit of one.