Replacing the pickups of my Fender MIM with american, would make my sound "better"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cheche32, Jan 5, 2014.

1. cheche32

cheche32

I have a Fender Precision MIM bass, and a local dude is sellig the pickguard and the electronics of an America Standard, if I replace my pickups and electronics for the american, exactly what would change in my sound?? is it possibly that could sound remotly near to an american standard? woul it be worth the expense?? thanks, here is the link of the stuff he is selling (is in spanish and the prices are in mexican pesos)

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...stema-electronico-de-fender-american-bass-_JM
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

no need to replace your electronics or the pickguard, they're pretty much the same, but the pickup itself would be an improvement.

how is that price compared to just getting a fender original '62 or duncan vintage P pickup by itself where you are? either one of those pickups would be better still.
  3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    + 1

There is a WEALTH of P pickup options out there that are arguably better than the American Std is packing as an OEM pickup. Fender's '62, Duncan Vintage P or antiquities, Dimarzio Model P, Nordstrand, Lindy Fralin, Bartolini, SGD, etc.

The list goes on and on, but that's all fluff if we don't know what you are looking for. Is your MIM too weak in output? Not enough bass? Too muddy? Need more bite? All of these? We can make a better suggestion when we know what the problem is or what you want to go for.