1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Replacing the tone knob on my J for something more useful than a tone knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Buchada Azeda, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

I have no use at all for the tone knob on my (passive) Jazz Bass. If I want to cut the treble, I'll use my amp's EQ. :bag:

Instead of having a useless knob laying around gathering dust on my control plate, I'd like to hear suggestions you might have for what I could do with it, other than a varitone.

[SUB]I found this subject somewhat hard to search for here, so please forgive me if there has been a previous thread with the same subject - English is not my first language.[/SUB]

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

A series/parallel switch would be my first thought although you could use a push/pull pot and not sacrifice the tone control should you wish to maintain the stock appearance or your tastes change.

Another great idea is the "producer switch." It's not wired to anything whatsoever but when somebody insists you change your tone (like a producer) you just flip the switch to make him happy. =)

3. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

I don't give a damn 'bout the appearance, really. As long as it sounds good I'm up for it.

The series/parallel switch sounds like a good idea. How does a J-bass wired in series sound compared to a standard parallel one? Oh, and the producer switch is definitely a good idea :D

Also, I'm kinda trying to find my own sound. I play in a power trio (playing proggy stoner rock, even though I'm no stoner) so there's lotsa room for me to experiment with my sound. Any unusual things I could try out without spending a lot?

4. lz4005

lz4005

Series will be slightly louder when both pickups are at 100% volume.

You could also try an out-of-phase switch (sucks low end out) or a kill switch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

EMG BTC or EMG VMC.

7. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

I'd like my bass to stay passive. Thanks for the suggestion though

8. RobbieK

RobbieK

With a rotary switch, you could have a kill, a series-parallel, and a producer switch all in one.

9. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

This, plus it sounds thicker and fuller. It makes a jazz sound kind of precision-ish, but not exactly.

10. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

I'm giving the local luthier a call tomorrow and will ask him if he can do the series/parallel mod for me. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

11. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I use my tone knob a lot. But a master volume control would be pretty useful.

12. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Flip between different capacitors... kinda like on the new Rickenbacker 4003s. Go from shrill and growly to fat and boomy with the flip of a switch.

13. frozenbolt

frozenbolt

You could also put in a 3 way switch to go from neck only, both pups, bridge only, so you can change tones on the fly.

Rock on,
    'Bolt