Report on President(Hofner 500/5)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hof Thumper, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Hof Thumper

Hof Thumper

Have had this beauty for about a month.The source is Rock N Roll Vintage,Beatlebass.com in Chicago.Jeff & co are great to work with.Got the email when the 2nd batch came in.They held the old price,and the hard shell case was throw in.The cases were damaged in shipping,Crushed at head.
    The fit & finish are A-1,no blems.The fret ends & binding are so smooth on the neck.The neck is fast & narrow.Thin as my Telecaster.Had to tweak the intonation a little."A" string a little flat,rest ok.Has the 2 black staple pick-ups,they are low output & need a good bit of volume.Have the sound of Paul's small one.This is 16.5" across and almost 3.75" deep.It's a big instrument.Still playing with controls to find a double bass tone.Will keep the round strings for now.Yes,it does feedback as exspected.A Great deal for the money,$699.00 & worth checking out.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I was always a fan of the President Model.
    Love the big body.

3. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Congrats on the bass! Please post pics. There aren't alot of "real world" pics of this bass from owners. From what I've seen, it's a beauty and I really want one. Please post some close ups!

4. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Sixty nine dollars? Sounds like the price of a set of Pyramid or Hofner flats.

I've always like that bass. Klauss Voorman has one, too, in honor of Stu Sutcliffe.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

You probably won't find a double bass-type tone with roundwound strings on there

7. Hof Thumper

Hof Thumper

Sorry,but the upload of photos has failed every time.

8. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Are you trying to post them direct to the board? You have to use a site like flickr or Photobucket to host them. If you need help you can send them to me and I'll post them for you.

9. Hof Thumper

Hof Thumper

That would be good of you.just need an email address.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I want one also need to sell something

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

They still have one in stock

12. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

HofThumper. I messaged you a few days ago with my email addy. Feel free to send the pics and I'll post them up for you.

13. SirMjac28

I emailed them I'm on the waiting list gives me time to sell something

14. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

I hear you man. That bass is wonderful and I've heard great things about it. IN fact the last one they had for $699, I snatched up and put it on layaway. I couldn't really afford it,but wanted to take advantage of it being $100 off due to the damaged case.
    I messaged the OP about posting pics over a week ago,but don't think he's been on. If all else fails, I'll post my own pics of it in about a month. I've already got tea cups and cream switch covers to go on it. :)

15. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

My Hofner 500/5 is on it's way. I'll post my own pics when I get it!