Request for EUB Recommendation

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jambre, Oct 9, 2013.

1. jambre

jambre

Good Morning(It's 3:45 am),

I have a talented 15-y/o son with a few years of guitar and electric bass-he plays electric bass in his school jazz band and has asked "Santa" about the possibility of an upright bass for Christmas-given the dimensions of our home's chimney and checkbook, it would appear that an electric upright may be the way to go-
    I've been reading about the various entry-level EUB's-the Staggs and Palatinos have me a little nervous reading about the quality challenges-would the Ergo be the way to go for a sub-$1000 EUB?

Thanks for any advice,
    Jim B.
    New Hampshire

2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

If you read a bit more around here, then you will see that an EUB is not a real replacement for an UB. Also an UB needs a lot more power than an EBG and Santa not only needs to bring an instrument but also a considerable amount of lessons (at least a year, better two) for that instrument.

If your son really wants to learn upright (and not only want to take it into his hands once a month or a week) a real upright bass (3/4 size) would be the right choice. If he learned it for some years an EUB might be a second instrument for rehearsals or for special cases (loud band, effect sound without acoustic sound) and sometimes also for performances.

A lot of EUBs are made for bass guitarrists, but they lack a lot of the real UB thing, holding is different, neck is often different, which means that major orientation points are missing. Tripod stands nail the player to the instrument at a certain position whereas an UB is usually moved a bit around the endpin.
    Also bowing often sounds bad or is difficult because the instruments turns around the axis too much (even with a body support) or doesn't move at all.

Better get a real instrument for an UB beginner! Later you may add a Warwick Triumph Lite or a Stagg with a rosewood fingerboard, that are not too expensive, but (in my opinion) better than a NS Design or an Ergo stick for playing upright.

3. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

4. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    +1 to what DoubleMIDI said.
    Furthermore, the Ergo, although it seems a good instrument, is more or less just a big fingerboard mounted on a tripod. (with all due respect to Jesse and Ergo owners)
    I wouln't learn DB playing on this particular instrument. (as well as the Steinberger EUB for that matter)
    As bloombloom clearly showed, you can get good entry-level DBs for a nice price.
    Get a look at the Classifieds here on TB as well.

HTH,
    François

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobsax

bobsax

Upright bass is a better buy. A decent used EUB runs 2k+. You can get a good used Shen SB80 for under 1k.

7. dpbass66

dpbass66 Supporting Member

I have a question that is in the same vein as the original poster, but somewhat different in that I am a seasoned electric player of 35 years, music school grad etc., etc. My intent is to learn UB primarily to be able to double, play jazz gigs, maybe do some pit orchestra work. My thinking was to start out just by learning the fingerboard by way of an EUB with a fingerboard that either duplicates or closely mimics the size and feel of an UB. The idea would be to get that same spacing to just learn where the notes are. The issue here is money and practicality. My thinking was that when I DO buy an UB I want it to be a decent one, and even decent ones are not cheap, AND that once I get the fingerboard down on the EUB, I could go out and start playing gigs on it. At that point I'd be ramping up to actually buy a "real" UB. Also, I DO realize that bowing on EUB is not going to work.......

I would love to hear input on my plan, and any recommendations on EUB that may be a good choice as far as fingerboards that approximate UB are concerned.......Thanks much!!!

8. SteveC

SteveC

Nothing wrong with that plan. I have debated getting an EUB again. There is a nice Azola in the classified for a fair price. I have had/played a few and I really like the Azola. Unfortunately they aren't made any more so used is the only option.

9. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Get an EUB with the same orientation points as on a double bass. You need at least the neck heel at the fifth or minor sixth. So a standard NS EUB is not what you want.
    Best talk with your DB teacher about a suitable EUB.