Requesting PP then… nothing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chapito, Mar 8, 2014.

1. chapito

chapito Supporting Member

I'm curious what others have experienced here on TB with buyer's negotiating a sale, requesting your PP ("i'll send payment now") then disappearing.

i realize some are impetuous, or maybe get cold feet on a purchase, but I've had 3 buyers in a day doing this for small items.

I find it very strange. Should I worry about giving out my PP?

What do you think?
  2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

LOL! From the thread title I thought this was going to be a question about how to notate a dynamic diminuendo from pianissimo to niente!
  3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

I thought it would be a thread about reverse incontinence.
  4. chapito

Lol. I guess I never thought of PP doppelgängers
  5. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

In all seriousness chapito, people suck and rarely come through like they promise to. It's not a pay pal issue it's a human nature issue.
  6. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

I thought it was an age-related thread :D

OP, that is seriously annoying! I dunno about the implications of giving out your Paypal info, but with all aspects of online activity and "Big Data" creeping into our daily lives, I am getting leery... I have a single email address that I use solely for a work-related research site, and I have recently started receiving bass related spam on that account.

-robert
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I don't constantly buy stuff with paypal, so my account is usually empty. Takes three or four days for money from the bank to transfer to the paypal account. It may be that these folk are waiting for their money to come in and you'll hear from them in a few days once it does.
  8. Shanebo

Shanebo

Thinking you have a deal, then nothing (crickets chirping) = frustrating.

I only buy (not sell) stuff with Paypal, but when I do sell things, I try to be as clear as possible what the acceptable terms and methods will be, but sometimes things fall apart on the old internets...

In the OP's situation, some appropriate feedback left for the vanishing buyer (if possible) might help modify future behavior.

All the best,

Shane
  9. bassteban

bassteban

Many could well do to improve their 'communication'. I put this term in 's as often it is not really communication at all, but rather a one-sided begging-for-clarity-fest.
    I am flaky by nature, impetuous and a poor manager of what little money I get to throw away, but I WILL TELL YOU ALL THIS from the start of ANY transaction. I will tire-kick, change my mind and forget about a far-more important and quite delinqunet bill that needs atention first- right in the middle of a nearly-done deal- but I will make every effort to let you know what my intentions are.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I once held a bass for a month based on a guy's promise to have the money for it by then. The appointed time came (and went) and nothing. It took me a couple weeks to get a reply and it was all "unexpected bills, sudden sickness, etc, etc." I was not annoyed at he obvious lies about why there was no money for the bass as promised, but I was put out that the guy failed to let me know when he realized he was not going to make (his) deadline to buy my bass.

I'd never ask someone to hold something for me, but that's just me, I don't mind doing it for people and for the most part it's worked out fine, but if you do ask for time and then it becomes apparent you've bitten off more than you can chew, at least have the decency to inform the seller so they can make the necessary adjustments to get on with the sale of their item.

Oh and BTW, there seems to be a direct correlation between age and the ability to follow up on requests to hold items.
  11. spade2you

spade2you

Musicians seem to have more flakes and people that want ya to cut them a break while never cutting other people a break. I've quickly learned that this applies to most walks of life.
  12. chapito

I see that it's not just me. And definitely. With the internet you gotta read between the lines to see who your dealing with. That being said, I do find the TB community to be great. -way better than dealing with EBay or even worse craigslist.

I still find it funny that , as a buyer, you would haggle and work a deal then say " great lets do this. I'll post it now" and disappear.

I guess it's just the crazy life on the interwebs~

I use to use a single email address for paypal (PP) but I think I will update periodically with disposable emails.

Thanks for your thoughts!