1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Required Listening

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by clokwise, Jan 3, 2014.

1. clokwise

clokwise

Hi!

I have been a bass player for a while. I've recently picked up an Ergo electric upright, to try my hand at upright. So far I like it. I realize its not a true upright, but I picked it up used for a couple hundred bucks, so figured that was a good starter way to find out if I liked it or not instead of dropping $1,000 and realizing I hated it.

I digress. I work at a place where I can listen to music all day while I work. What is some good required listening for upright? I am open to any styles. I live in Nashville and would love to become proficient enough to sit in with some local talent. While there is a lot of country and bluegrass around this town, I'd still love to have a well rounded ear and skill set.

Thanks ahead of time!
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Certainly, you're free to do what you want. But even though the Ergo is touted as being "bowable" (since it has a fingerboard curvature) , the bridge doesn't look as if it has an analogous presentation to an actual double bass bridge. So pizz on one of these things is going be a lot different than on a double bass.

I'm not sure anyone's required to listen to anything, my suggestions are going to be guided by what I like to listen to and what I'm aware of; I'm pretty sure I'm not aware of everything out there, especially if it's music I don't play a lot. Bass players I like and listen a lot to are:

Sonny Dallas, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Charlie Haden, Neal Miner, Sam Jones, Red Mitchell, Scott LaFaro, Steve LaSpina, Don Thompson, Doug Watkins
  3. clokwise

clokwise

Well I guess i should have mentioned, I do not plan on using a bow.

Sorry, I sound like I may have borderline offended you there, but wasn't my intention. I am simply new to the upright game and trying to find some solid suggestions for listening.
  4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

For slap bass, you need to hear some Milt Hinton. For bluegrass (with a bow), check out Edgar Meyer and Bela Fleck on "Music for Two".

You should see what Renaud Garcia-Fons is doing on "Oriental Bass" and "Arcoluz". For some really crazy stuff, find "Voyage That Never Ends" by Stefano Scodanibbio.
  5. Mechanical

Mechanical

Anything by Mingus.
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

No offense taken but, if as you said "...to try my hand at upright." and "...figured that was a good starter way to find out if I liked it or not...", you should know that anything that doesn't approximate that relationship (bridge and overstand) is going to feel different than an actual bass. So if you're expecting a double bass to feel like that bass when you play it, you will be surprised, and not in a good way.
  7. longfinger

longfinger

With youtube and other online sources, it has never been easier to browse through new-to-us recordings. Just type in a query, and start clicking and browsing. When you get to something you like, and want to listen to it repeatedly, please put some money into the system and buy a CD, LP (on a comeback), or digital download. Support the music you like.

Also there is a difference in quality between passive "listen while your work" listening, and active "my full mental focus is on what I'm hearing" listening. The former is good to browse an check out new things, but the latter is needed to learn new things. If you want to become "proficient enough to sit in with some local talent", you'll need to learn.

Good luck. Go browse and search on youtube, deezer, rhapsody or whatever other service is running nowadays.
  8. clokwise

clokwise

I agree with that. I am a long time musician so I understand the process, just new to this particular instrument. Just looking for something to be playing to get my ear more familiar. I'd just prefer to do that than listen to a random online station of an artist I've listened to a million times or modern pop of some kind. Which is usually what happens.
  9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Names that haven't been mentioned yet.

Arni Egilsson
    Gary Karr
    Ray Brown
    Michael Moore
    Lee Rocker (I prefer the older Stray Cats material)
    Drew Gress
    Willie Dixon
    Wellman Braud
    Pops Foster
    Jimmy Blanton
    Oscar Pettiford
    Bob Haggart

That there is a crazy list of names. Still jazz heavy but wth.
  10. Autbra

Autbra Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mike Lull, Mesa Boogie, D'addario Strings endorser
    Besides all the normal Jazz guys, since you live in Nashville, you should check out people like Bob Moore, Roy Huskey sr&jr, Dennis Crouch, etc..
  11. Jefff

Jefff

Bill Evans, "Sunday at the Village Vanguard". You can here Scott LaFaro at his peak.
  12. groooooove

groooooove

yup.

and some niels henning.. ray brown..

that should last you a while :p
  13. Jefff

Jefff

Yeah... anything by Ray Brown.
  14. mtto

mtto

Dave Holland
    Duncan Mctier
    George Mraz
  15. clokwise

clokwise

Awesome thanks guys I really appreciate it!
  16. powerbass

powerbass

Duke Ellington's music puts the bass out front and there is a lot of room in the music to hear the bass clearly. plus he had great bass players
  17. Lo-E

Lo-E

Rufus Reid, Eddie Gomez, Christian McBride, Michael Formanek....
  18. nicechuck

nicechuck

Someone mentioned Niels Henning Orsted Pederson, Danny Thompson on some of Richard Thompson recordings is good stuff too