Reshaped body of a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natas, Feb 24, 2014.

1. natas

natas

hi there TB'ers!
    I'm thinking of having my jazz bass body reshaped. i kinda like small bodied, modern looking, but not too weird one. has anyone tried this before? could you post some pics? or if anyone has an idea please do post it here.
    Oh comes with a 5-in-line tuners. carving or chambering may also be an option
    TIA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    can someone make me a mock photoshop design?

2. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

I like the American Deluxe profile. It's probably 10% smaller overall than the American Jazz. Maybe over 1 lb. lighter and I think it looks much better.

3. Bobster

Bobster

The Lakland Darryl Jones is the same concept. A smaller bodied Jazz bass.

Bob

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

You don't have a lot of wood to work with, due to the cavity routes. Maybe shave 1/4" off the diameter? Anything beyond that will make it look a little...odd.

One thing you could do would be to find a Squier MB-4 body & load it with a P/J pick-up set. It's much more modern & will take your Jazz neck. You could then sell your loaded Jazz body to cover more than the cost. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. natas

natas

that's what i'm thinking..the control cavity route.it is located at the back though..so i can reshape the upper part of the body as well as the lower horn. here's a pic
    [​IMG]

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Well, with that body, you could cut the upper horn & shape it like a Les Paul, and do something similar to the bottom horn. Maybe round out the bottom edge a bit?
    This would create neck dive, though. A modern shape's going to be hard though. That control cavity really bites you in the butt.

8. natas

natas

neck dive might be a problem too.. i've got 5 in line tuners..

9. natas

natas

10. natas

natas

can this be reshaped to a modern type body?

11. Camaro

Camaro

I don't see how that's supposed to work.

Getter get a body blank and start from scratch.

12. makaspar

makaspar

Warmoth makes "dinky" J bodies - they're probably exactly what your looking for. $165 I think..

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

This is what you want it's my 93 Fender Jazz Bass Plus it has a smaller body and feels good in my hands.

[​IMG]

14. Camaro

Camaro

I was thinking that too, but the dinky is 4 string not 5 string.

Also, 165 $ would be the cheapest option WITHOUT paint.

But he can see for himself:
    http://www.warmoth.com/pages/CustomBassBody.aspx

15. elBandito

elBandito

Check out sadowsky jazz bodies. Slightly smaller and modernized.

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

You want to take off the neck and all hardware, strip the paint, reshape the body, repaint, and put it all back together? All of this with uncertain final results? I think I would just look for a new bass that was more comfortable. If the neck pocket is a standard size, you could buy a new body in the size/shape/weight you wanted.

Of course, if you want to do it for the fun of working on a project, that's a different story. If it would be fun for you, then go at it! :)

17. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Nice bass Mjac! Those plus basses with the black pearl burst are hard to find and play great! I have a Precision Plus with the same finish.

18. natas

natas

those dinkies are nice.even slimmer horns will make it look more modern.i don't see how it ill not work to reshape this body to a more modern one though.. waiting for some more inputs.. thanks brothers

19. elBandito

elBandito

Maybe something like a guild pilot 5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

This image from Warmoth.com may help you. It shows how their dinky J differs from the standard.

It looks very similar to a Sadowsky, too.

Attached Files:

21. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Visually, a burst finish makes a bass appear smaller than it is - so you might want to use a burst again, else your hard work might not be really evident to your eye.

This is a do-it-for-fun thing, right? Everyone is right; you could accomplish the same goal much more economically by buying a different instrument.