Reshaping a headpiece

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lowendblues, Nov 12, 2012.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Anyone tried to reshape a headpiece with a hand held coping saw?

If so, how did it go? I want to reshape the head on my Schecter Model-T to a smaller, Tele style shape, but have no band saw or scroll saw at my disposal.

opinions?
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I buy necks with paddle headstocks and I cut them to what I want with a hand held saw. It is lots of work. An electric band saw would be better.
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Should work just fine. Make sure you clamp the headstock securely before starting to cut it down. Also make sure that you cut perpendicular to the neck and not at odd angles. And remember that a coping saw will go off course very quickly, so take it slow.

You will need to sand a bit to get the final shape.
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes

Don't take too much off. Believe it or not, that couple of ounces of wood can change the resonance characteristics of the neck, so if it is a one piece neck that plays really well, I'd be leary about even touching it, as the result may change the way the bass plays, feels, sustains, dead notes, etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

A hand held saw does not cut straight. Cut it larger and remove the excess wood with a dremmel or sanding.
  7. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

A jig saw with a new fine toothed blade will work better. It will only set you back $50.