Reshaping a headstock ???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bazza99, Sep 7, 2011.

1. bazza99

bazza99

Anybody got any suggestions on how I can change / reshape this
    really ugly looking headstock on my AXL Player deluxe bass?? I won't part with the guitar as I think that, for a cheapie, it's sensatioonal. However, the headstock shape is bone ugly. I don't have a huge arsenal of woodworking lathes and tools but perhaps someone can suggest what I can do to it??? I don't think I can round off the top as the top tuner will look funny and higher than the headstock! Again, any suggestions??

Attached Files:

2. chokeslam512

chokeslam512

I would start by making a tracing of the headstock on paper, making some photocopies and just start drawing out what you think would look good. Then trace the proposed cuts onto the actual headstock and get cutting.

3. Tigger Bangdang

Tigger Bangdang

Looks like a CallowHill!

4. whodom

whodom

You can also add wood if necessary to accommodate the shape you want. That just gets a little trickier with trying to disguise the glue joint.

There's a good recent thread here somewhere about a guy who transformed a sort of similar headstock into a Fender shape by doing that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

7. dave-chaulk

dave-chaulk

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/d...if-you-love-sx-but-hate-new-headstock-710061/

My take on it!

However, I didn't really include instructions...

It's extremely straight forward -
    -cut the sides off (or 'ears', if you will
    -smooth them (preferably with a joiner)
    -get two small pieces of the wood of your choice (I chose to created contrast to the maple by using padauk, you can use whatever you want really)
    -Cut these two small pieces to the same thickness as the headstock and glue them on where you cut off and smoothed the old "ears".
    -cut out the shape of your choice!

I apologize for being awful at instructing, but what I did will add up if you look at my pictures. if you have any questions, feel free to inbox me!

8. dave-chaulk

dave-chaulk

Oh, a tools list couldn't hurt.. I used a band saw, hand saw, joiner and orbital sander.

You can do it with a jig or coping saw, a hand saw, a pocket knife and some sand paper.

9. djm150

djm150

you have plenty of room to do a fender telecaster bass headstock.
    all you need is an electric jig saw and a pad sander. i did it on a johnson bass with the same headstock with excellent results.

10. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I'm in the midst of figuring how to add wood to a Danelectro headstock.

Am I opening pandora's box if my joint includes part of the tuner hole(s)?

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Clean the finish out of the holes first, then fill with dowel pegs. You need a good tight fit to get a proper bond of wood and glue. Then use a router and straight edge to trim out the sides, dress the edges with sandpaper and glue up your extensions. Clamp properly and leave overnight for added assurance.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

One option is to get a Mighty Mite neck and replace the neck with the ugly headstock.

13. bassgod76

The neck has to be short scale and 24 fret. This is the only neck i've found that has those features. Otherwise, I'd be ordeing an Allparts paddle head.

14. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

The reason the Dano bottle and dolphin headstocks are so slim is to balance reliably with the the super light body. Be careful...you may be sacrificing proven functionality for aesthetics.

Two ways to deal with the tuner holes is plug them or completely remove that part of the headstock. Both of those will show unless you cover with veneer or paint. Scarf jointing a whole new headstock is more work but cleaner looking.

15. bassgod76

This may clear things up a bit.

I'm trying to re-create this. The only difference is that it will be bolt on.

[​IMG]

Everything will be black, so hopefully that makes finishing easier?