1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Resistance specs for 4+ -pole / -coil pickups - anyone know?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lossfizzle, Nov 24, 2013.

1. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

I've been looking at the individual-pole design of the Ovation Magnum neck pickup (also used by Wal, so it seems). This design interests me for a lot of reasons, but there's seemingly not a whole lot of technical data available on the individual coils for these types of pickups for a would-be DIY winder.

I did find the original patent filing for the Magnum pickup and it has just about all the information needed to make something similar, save for important specs like the final resistance of each individual pole-coil (understandably!). I haven't yet found anyone who has measured a working example and posted their results publicly, either.

Further, I'm also wondering what one might use as the bobbin housing for each coil / pole if not having them custom fabricated by a third party.

Anybody have one of these things and has given 'em a go with their DMM?