1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Resistor to reduce pick click??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brock29609, Apr 1, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

On my active PJ bass (Seymour Duncan Lightning Rods), if I turn the master volume all the way up I get prominent clicking coming through the amp from my picking. When I roll off the volume to about 80%, the clicking falls into the background.

I'm assuming this is the result of a treble roll-off from the volume pot. Am I right?

I'd like to run full volume without this clicking. Is there a certain value resistor or capacitor I could wire up to bleed this clicking off to ground without dropping off a ton of treble? Shaving off a little treble is fine, since I usually dial down the tone knob some.

I remember when I used to have an onboard preamp, it called for resistors to eliminate the clicks from the switches. Could this help my problem?

2. line6man

line6man

If there is some effect that you like at 80% volume, you're not going to get it without losing the same volume when selecting a resistor to replace the pot. You're trying to replace a pot with a component that exhibits the same electrical behavior.

3. brock29609

If there's not a fix that can isolate and eliminate/reduce the clickiness, then that's really what I'm hoping to achieve -- mimicking the same affect. I want to roll the volume up and down without wondering if I've stumbled into clicky territory.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

why not set the amp so that "10" on the bass doesn't sound clicky?

alternately, dropping the pickups down a bit might help, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. brock29609

You might be onto something regarding pickup height. I had the pickups out of the body last week, and now I'm noticing the click for the first time. I probably have them set too high.

Regarding amp set-up, I tried this. I can't eliminate the click using the amp without throwing a wet blanket over the tone.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

by all means mess with pickup height, but how is the "click" when the whole band is playing?

you might find that a little extra attack translates into a good, clear bass tone in the mix.

8. brock29609

A strong attack is partially why I'm a proud picker, but this noise goes beyond that. I'm feeling confident pickup height is the answer. Will know for sure tomorrow.

9. brock29609

Well, the pickup height adjustment didn't help. If anyone knows of anything I can hook up that will tame the clickiness with the vol knob over 80%, I'm all ears. I don't have this problem on any other bass.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

You don't like headroom? One of the best things about lowZ and using a preamp is that you shouldn't lose a lot of highs and sound quality when you reduce the volume setting on the bass. Why not use this, in case you need more output on stage, without needing to use a volume pedal or changing the amp's settings?

Do you see any pick marks on the pickups? If so, I would be more inclined to change my picking technique to avoid hitting anything with the pick.

11. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

To me, it does sound like it would be treble roll off from the volume pot, and if that's the case, does rolling off the tone knob a bit more not fix it? Or if you have tried rolling it off even all the way, maybe a higher value cap?

12. B Major

B Major

Be a bass player and play with your fingers....:bag:

13. brock29609

Strangely enough, turning the tone knob up and down doesn't seen to exacerbate or reduce the noise. Only rolling off the volume knob helps.

14. brock29609

Was that really necessary?

15. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

Weird; be cool to hear a recording of it, if you have time. If it's a clicking that you can hear even with all the treble/low mids rolled off, I can't even imagine that sound.

I know a proper diagnosis would be better, but could you get by setting it the way you like it and compensating with your amp or a small boost pedal?

16. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

Unnecessarily elitist AND wouldn't solve the problem; that's a TB two'fer!

I play with my fingers most of the time (with plenty of click, if I feel like it), but nothing feels quite like digging in and grinding with a pick.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What is your striking technique like?

The angle with which your pick hits the strings will have an impact on pick noise.

18. jefkritz

jefkritz

if you're okay with a soldering iron and a multimeter:

you could put a resistor between your volume knob and the output. this would raise the resistance when your volume is at full.

you would need to figure out the resistance of the pot when it's at that magical "80% no click" point. then get a resistor of that value, and put it before (or after) your volume knob. This will lower your output, but you can just turn your amp up.

for instance, if you use a 250k pot:
    at full volume, your pot will be giving effectively zero resistance.
    at zero volume, your pot will be giving about 250k ohm resistance.
    say 80% volume gives you 100 ohm resistance (just guessing here)

after the mod, you would have:
    at full volume, your pot will be giving 100 ohm resistance (see previous guess).
    at zero volume, your pot will be giving about 250,100 ohm resistance.

this would give you the desired full range of pot motion. (at least theoretically...)

19. brock29609

I will tinker with resistors. I have a rainbow of different values from tinkering with LED lights on my motorcycles.

I know on some Reverend guitars they come with a cap soldered onto the jack to bleed off a small amount of treble. I may try that too.

My Genz-Benz head has good gain boost so I'm not too worried about lost volume coming from the instrument.

This is my one-and-only active bass, so maybe that's why I have this problem from only this instrument, though the pickups aren't high output (PJ Lightning Rods).

Maybe I could also switch out the 250K volume pot for a 100K?

20. B Major

B Major

Just busting balls... No offense...

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Nah, nobody ever takes offense to someone telling them they're not a bass player if they don't use their fingers. Why would they take offense to that?

I have a funny story about that, BTW:

A dude comes up to me a couple years ago while I was on my first break and says, "You know, I thought you were a really excellent bass player till you pulled out a pick and played a couple songs with it."

I said, "Really? Well there's the exit (pointed to door). Feel free to use it."