1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Resolution Bet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paradog, Dec 29, 2012.

1. paradog

paradog

I have made a bet with my wife: I lose 40 lbs or more (175 or lower) and I can buy a new Lakland Skyline 44-02. Either way I'll be in better shape but its been over 15 years since I have been under 175.

I plan to lose about 8 lbs a month. so I am looking to place my order around May!

Advice and support welcome!

:help:

2. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Go get em! I went from 210 down to around 160 from 2005 to now.

Reduce your portions, and try to follow the daily nutritional percentages on the side of food boxes as a good starting point.

3. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

8lbs a month will be easy for the first few months, then it will get harder. Not saying you can't do it, but it is going to be hard to loose that much weight that fast when you aren't huge. A pound a week is easily doable and a good goal.

lowsound

4. electracoyote

electracoyote

You can do it. Small portions, lower the carbs, cut out the processed sugars, switch to raw fruits and veggies, and no late night eating (after 6PM or so).

Put on your sneakers and move around a little bit a few times a week.

It's a lifestyle/attitude thing. You can do it. And please come back and post pics of that bass in June.

Good luck!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

You can do this man! I dropped 42 (and still trying) in about a 7 month span, from January to the end of August. Then, I went on vaca, and came back; and never gained, but have been on a horrible plateau ever since :meh:

The only advice I can offer (though remember, everyone's body works differently!) was I gave up all junk food, and started a workout regimen. I gave up all fast foods, processed foods, soda, etc., and started shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I haven't drank soda in idk how long, I always drink water. Lots of fruits and veggies. I also won't eat something unless I look at the ingredient label first, to check for bad stuff like HFCS.

My workout regimen consisted of gym and/or running at least 5 times a week. On some days, I would go to the gym and do 20 minutes treadmill running, 15 elliptical, 15 bike, and then weight training (isolating a muscle per day like back, chest etc.) On some days when it was nice out, I would go to the park and do some laps there instead. There's this big debate about which is better for you: running on ground, or on a treadmill.

Either way, good luck, you can absolutely do this. I was losing hope before I lost that weight, but I committed and it worked. A good motto I saw before working out that I lived by was:

"Decide. Commit. Succeed."

7. bassteban

bassteban

Also remember that people will tell you what worked/works for them, which may or may not work as well for you. I haven't seen any bad advice here yet, but for me it's equal parts diet and exercise.

8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

40 in a year is certainly doable, a couple lbs a week is also doable for a few months too!

You'll no doubt have a few steps back along the way, but we all do, just something to work past. Just try and find the balance of healthy eating and exercise that works for you.

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

If your wife was really mean she would add the caveat that if you ever go back above 175 you have to give the Lakland away!

10. bassteban

bassteban

In all seriousness(don't worry, it will pass ;)), dont get too obsessed w/a number- get and stay healthy. Everyone has an ideal size and weight.

:ninja:

Of course, that Lakland thing changes EVERYTHING.
    :cool:

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Lose it slower and it will be easier to keep that weight off. However, some of the changes to your habits/diet may cause you to lose more immediately and the rest may take longer.

I stopped drinking diet soda/switched to coffee and started working out. The combination dumped 10+ lb in two weeks because not drinking the soda made my food cravings stop completely. I also started eating Greek yogurt with fruit and that keeps me from being hungry.

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I was told that weights should come before cardio- the cardio flushes lactic acid/toxins from the workout and I noticed that I'm hardly ever sore from weights, even though I'm working with a fair amount of weight/reps until fatigue.

13. Topspin

Topspin Used to know everything Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I know nothing...
    Take up tennis. ;)

Good luck! We expect before and after pics when you get around to posting the NBD thread. :D

14. paradog

paradog

Well I am still recovering from shoulder surgery in August, but the drs have given me the go ahead to exercise. Tennis is not an option. I will begin running again and other cardio daily. I have also been using a site called myfitnesspal.com which allows me to track my calories and exercise. Love the Greek yogurt but it is expensive. Have to focus on a protein style plan. As for the idea of giving the bass away if I gain the weight back...who's side are you on! LOL

As for the Lakland....I played a USA version that had a ebony fretboard (fretted)...yea it was nice! I'll be happy with the Skyline! Very Happy!

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Same here, good luck. The above will help you shed easy pounds.

16. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

That sounds like my last year! From 220 to 180. Well more like 184 now, damn Christmas vacations.

I'll show some solidarity and join you for about 15 pounds! No lakland for me, but 170~Lbs will be my reward :p

17. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Weigh yourself every morning the moment you wake up and graph your progress. Feedback like that is important.

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Agreed. Two lbs a week after the first month not only gets difficult to do, but it can even be somewhat dangerous. Take your time with it and don't get discouraged :)

19. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Right you are. I should also add that I do 5 sets of 30 crunches a night, 4 nights a week.

20. paradog

paradog

currently the routine is:

60 minutes cardio
    5 x 25 pushups
    5 x 30 crunches (various styles)
    I work the arms and chest at PT 3 times a week...still recovering from surgery...ugh!

Anyone care to join me on this journey?

21. electracoyote

electracoyote

Well, I have about 10 pounds I'd like to shed, and, as others have alluded to above, the last ten pounds are a bitch. So I actually got back to the discipline it takes a few weeks ago, but man, it's slow goin'.

So, I'm with you in spirit.