1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Resonator Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1gneissguy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 1gneissguy

1gneissguy

I would like to hear from those who own and/or have personal experience with a resonator bass. Until recently, I didn't know they existed! I normally play an acoustic upright and also own a P-bass, an acoustic electric and an electric upright. I am looking for something that will allow me to jam with two or three acoustic players (old-time, bluegrass & gospel) and still be heard. I am in my 70's and get tired of dragging "the beast" everywhere I go to play. Usually an amp is a no no, so that leaves out the full electrics. The acoustic electric is okay to work out songs on or play with one guitar, but lacks volume unless hooked up. (Of course amps are heavy too.) Will the resonator bass give me what I want?
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I'm curious also There's been one in the local CL for months I've seen a few demos but I couldn't get a real feel of how it sounded.
  3. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Mr. Claypool is playing this one unplugged, and it certainly sounds louder to me than a regular ABG. Then again he's not playing regular finger-style, so it's hard to say, so overall I suppose this is a pretty useless comment. Primus sucks!
  4. ponticat

ponticat Gold Supporting Member

5. Kickass

Kickass

I had the same problem, bass for a gig with no power. I have, and love, an old Washburn AB20 but it has no real power when unplugged and I do not own/play DB, so had a look in my "parts store" and put together this:
  6. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I have a resonator bass from Gold Tone (the Paul Beard Bass, link below) and have had some success playing acoustically. I don't think it is substantially louder than a decent ABG, but it has a midrange-y tone when played with a pick that cuts through better than most ABGs. It does not cut through nearly as well when played fingerstyle.

http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/444/Paul-Beard-Bass-PBB
  7. lug

lug

you might want to consider this if you can't use an amp of any kind. the neck detaches w/o tools for easier transport

They run about $2k
  8. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

9. Diogenes

Diogenes

I've only played one resonator bass a few weeks ago. It was a lot louder than my ABG and had a cutting yet clean tone.