Resonator Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbancroft45, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jbancroft45

jbancroft45

I'm new as a member, but have used TB a good deal in the past. I've looked through different threads about specific resonator basses, but not much in the way of comparison.

I'm looking at the Regal RD-05:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/regal-rd-05-resonator-bass-guitar

As well as the Ozark 3516:

http://www.thomann.de/intl/ozark_3516_resonator_bass.htm

I like the styling of both, as well as the price. I'm just indecisive, both have their own special qualities. I like the fact that the Ozark is acoustic/electric and fully metal. I like the Regal's more classic style and spruce top. I'm leaning more towards the Ozark currently.

I guess my main question is: has anyone dealt with either of the basses, and if so, what did you think of it?

2. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

I have a short scale Regal and added a lipstick PU. Sounds fine but doesn't play in tune up the neck. Plus, short scale is just too small for me.

Of the two listed I'd try the Ozark, although I've never played one.

3. tekhedd

tekhedd Supporting Member

Also, in the link you post the Ozark is biscuit bridge, where the RD-05 is a spider. That's going to be significantly different and a matter of personal preference.

(Otherwise, I have no direct experience with these particular instruments. However, I did recently research pickups and there are some interesting options for biscuit bridge that I wanted to try but couldn't with a spider bridge...)

4. jbancroft45

jbancroft45

Thanks tekhedd, I hadn't given the bridges a thought. That's very helpful, thank you both

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I haven't tried one in person, but I love reso guitars--and have tried reso ukes.

A bass woudl be cool.

I tend to prefer wood bodies ones--but not always.
    And I do prefer biscuit cones or tri cones.

But I've played spider cone ones I like as well.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Up until this thread, I have never heard a single kind word for these instruments here.

The previous received knowledge on TB is that they were some gimmick that Fender cooked up based on their atrocious FR50 guitar (later copies came from other companies) and are virtually useless.

Mucho hate for the concept here, as of a couple of years ago.