Responsive fuzz suggestion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Mar 24, 2014.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Hi!

I’m looking for the right fuzz for me and I came to the conclusion that I need a very responsive fuzz with healthy low-end…
    I’m using a bazz fuss, a wolly mammoth, but my third fuzz needs to be more responsive… I’ve tried with the swollen pickle but even at its lowest levels the tone it’s so saturated it’s almost sythy sounding!

By responsive I mean fuzzy warmth if I play soft and right on FUZZ RAGE if I really dig in…the closest I got was the EHX bass big muff, it is responsive to my playing but it does not work with me, it gets swallowed by the guitars… and the sound in the mix is like a clean bass with a tiny distorted guitar added on top of it… I guess this is due the famous mid dip.

So, ANY alternatives?

2. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    There are a million muff variants. If you liked the character of the muff but got lost in the mix I'd recommend checking out the Blackout Musket or Mojo Hand Colossus. Both add a MIDS knob that make them much more versatile and give you the ability to poke through a mix.

That said, I sold my Colossus once I picked up the Source Audio OFD, might be overkill for your needs though.

3. newbold

newbold

My envelope phasered fuzz is pretty responsive.

Fuzz isn't really a note-defined distortion. If you can find a way to get note definition on your fuzz your quest will likely be a lot easier.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Team Awesome Fuzz Machine! Immense low end, very touch responsive indeed. It doesn't get lost in the mix like a muff can, and (on mine at least) if you plug a passive bass straight in with no buffer in the way, the highs are rolled off of the clean blend portion, helping the two sounds blend together better.

The 3Leaf You're Doom could be a contender also, but will reserve judgement until mine arrives in the post!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

M a l e k k o D i a b o l i k. Seriously

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

This is exactly what I loved about the MojoHand BMP-1. It's absolutely fantastic.

8. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I recently picked up a 3Leaf Audio You're Doom. This is the fuzz I have been wanting for years. It is the most responsive fuzz I have ever used. And I don't mean just the level of fuzz. The sound is very organic and responds well to input level and attack/sustain style. Try using it with palm muting for a great synthy burp. Great for modern synth fuzz or old school wall of fuzz. Great mids when you want it too. I love this pedal. Can you tell?

9. Denver Max

Denver Max

Finally ordering this tonight. 2 day express mail. From the clips I've heard, this is exactly what OP and myself are looking for.

10. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

+1!

11. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

12. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

+2 :D
    Vegas recommended this fuzz to me and I bought one and love it. Here is a video I posted on youtube of me doing a quick demo with it.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know if I have that on my TAFM (it's a pretty old one), but I didn't think I would like it, got talked into it as one came up for sale at a decent price on here, and Danny's pretty accurate. It's a really good fuzz pedal. Muffs and Muff variants like the Pickle disappear on me, too. Love them on guitar and they make a nice first impression at the store, but I might as well not even have a fuzz on once the music kicks in.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

The builder has made many revisions to the circuit over the years, I'm not sure that 'feature' was intended but it sure does sound good! At first I thought plugging in an active bass lost some low end, but I was wrong, there was just more top end coming through on the clean channel.

Every time a TAFM comes up for sale I am tempted to pick it up to see if it sounds better/worse than mine!

15. Pastrami

Pastrami

Add the fuzzrocious grey stache to this list

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! Not me. I figure mine does what I want, so it's all good.

17. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I have a Tech 21 Red ripper that is very responsive. It is a very underrated fuzz. It can do traditional fuzz but it has a very synthy vibe to it. It can at times sound like a subtle driven filter. It might not be what your looking for but it is a very dynamic fuzz.

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How about the DG Duality? I like this pedal for its ability to cut through. I havent tried most fuzzes out there, simply because Im not much of a fuzz guy. But the Duality really grabbed me. I would like to try that Dioblik and bumble fuzz though, hear those are really good. I also have the Prunes and Custard which I find is one of the most unique pedals Ive ever tried as far as dirt pedals go. Its ot for every application, but when you do find the right one, the P7C is the only one that can fill it. Pretty funky. In a good way

19. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

+1 on the malekko diabolik. I love mine. It doesn't cut through it saws through. Also consider any muff clones with a mids knob. My grey stache does a good job cutting through also.

20. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

To me, most fuzzes are more "full on" than dynamic. Are you sure you don't want an overdrive? If you have done your homework and you know you want a fuzz I would check out the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, DMB Bumble Fuzz, Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian, Fulltone 69, and maybe try a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail or other Rat style pedal. I have used all of these to get a sound that can border on overdrive and fuzz quite nicely with touch sensitivity.

21. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Well, I just got hold of my 3Leaf You're Doom fuzz.

Don't believe the hype, the whole thing about this being dynamic is marketing BS. Both tone and volume of the fuzz hardly change with your playing dynamics. The only dynamics are to be found from mixing in the clean signal. I can't get one tone out of this thing that I like.

I'd like to try the Diabolik too, but every demo I've heard sounds awful except for the one section where Justin/Juan are playing it and it's set to very low gain, where it does actually sound great.

TAFM FTW!