Respray headstock but keep inlay?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by clive shakedown, Dec 14, 2013.

1. clive shakedown

clive shakedown Supporting Member

Hi there. I have a 78 westbury bass with a black headstock and mop inlay, the headstock is damaged around the edges.
    I am going to refinish the whole thing but how do I prep and respray the headstock but keep the inlay?
    Cheers.
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass clive shakedown.

Option #1
    Mask the inlay.

Option #2
    My english language teminology for painting jargon is lacking, but a mist edge is the spraying term we use over here to partially spray a spot with an invisible edge.

If it's just the Lyre/Triton inlay I found on the net, #1 is perfectly doable and would be my choice if the damage extends far on the HS face, but if the brand is an inlay as well and not a decal You can replicate, I'd strongly consider the #2.

I've used both methods with varying success, depending on the time and money that the specific tasks have allowed.

Only the liquid masking is feasible with texts IME.

Pics would help... ;).

Regards
    Sam
  3. clive shakedown

Hi Sam.

Thanks for the reply, I have uploaded pics now,
    I googled "mist edge" but all I got was this thread and your reply!

Could you please explain a little bit more about this technique after seeing the pics?

The whole bass will be refinished and the headstock edge is black to dark maple so it does need to be done.

Thanks very much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi Clive.

You're welcome.

It's the same as when You do a sunburst, but obviously with the same colour as the base.

As You probably have to sand the paint it before clear coating, the tricky part is to find a tint that matches the original after sanding down lightly and clear coating.

Best to do a test piece on a veneer and compare that with the HS tint.

An airbrush is a valuable tool on a small piece like a HS, but I've done a repair like that with even a rattle can.

In Your case, since most of the HS should remain paint free, I would probably find some masking liquid and brush a coat of that onto the inlay and the Westbury text.

One thing about Your mighty fine looking bass makes me wonder a bit though.
    OK, a lot.

The bridge seems to be way, way too far back?
    Even if the bridge was on the previous rear post holes.
    Optical illusion?

Regards
    Sam
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. clive shakedown

Thanks for that Sam, all a bit more clear now.
    As to the bridge, it's where it was originally put in the factory, the holes either side are where someone in the past fitted another style of bridge, it could be an optical illusion as the intonation is perfect (it's standard 34 inch scale length)
    The extra bridge holes are to be plugged with maple taken from under the pick guard (I already picked someone elses brains for that one!)
    on the subject of bridges, I have checked with hipshot, and their replacement bridge for the 3 point EBO style doesn't have the height that I need.
    but I do have a cunning plan for that too.
    Thanks again for your help.