1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Restoring My American Standard Bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dmeador11, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dmeador11

dmeador11

I was on here a while back trying to figure out the best way to repair a spot under the bridge foot of my '56 American Standard.
    It also needed to have the neck re-set from an old neck crack with a poor repair.
    I got with a luthier and we fixed the neck, removed the top and it had a puncture under the bridge which he repaired and put in a wing for support.
    The previous owner had painted it Yellow with black trim and notes on the front, which I never really cared for anyway.
    As long as it was already down we decided to take it back down all the way to the wood and leave it as close to natural "blond" as possible. These bases had a blended stain color on them to begin with so it has a little red hue in the wood grain. The fingerboard was a beautiful Rosewood that was painted black, tailpiece was starting to crack so I bought a new Rosewood one to match.

I am also looking to add some pinstripe and looking for ideas. Nothing real crazy, but not just a single line either. Looking for suggestions. The last pictures had a darker stain which we sanded back off.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200121688924676.1073741837.1824117525&type=3
  2. dmeador11

dmeador11

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

are the pictures coming through??
  3. dmeador11

dmeador11

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
  4. dmeador11

dmeador11

5. dmeador11

dmeador11

6. dmeador11

dmeador11

yellow paint, black trim[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  7. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Supporting Member

poor baby!
  8. lcdck

lcdck

I feel your pain. I had one that had been spray painted and I refinished her about 9 months ago. A LOT of work but such an improvement.

I think your fingerboard is ebony not rosewood. It looks like mine did and my luthier told me it was ebony.
  9. dmeador11

dmeador11

It definitely has a Rosewood fingerboard that was painted black.
    The lighting in the pictures is bad.
  10. dmeador11

dmeador11

11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    Looking good. Try your local hot rod paint shop for a pinstriper.
  12. dmeador11

dmeador11

Bass is almost done. New Ulsa Premium Endpin, New Rosewood Tailpiece, New Bridge. Even with the old Black Diamond strings it is opening up. Sounds like a cannon.
    New Spirocore E & A and Evah Pirazzi D & G in the mail. This should sound Awesome.
    Looking for opinions on pinstriping, color and style, nothing too flashy. I want to keep the Vintage Look.[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  13. dmeador11

dmeador11

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  14. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

'Looks good. I dig the tuning machine cutouts, but man oh man oh mannnnn would I like to show up to my gigs this weekend in that old Chevy!

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com
  15. dmeador11

dmeador11

Thanks for the kind words, I had a guy cut out the tuning machine keys from stainless. He made them a little larger and cut the note in the center for me. The old girl was loud before but without all that yellow paint it's even better.
    I've seen your basses so I am really jealous, almost too pretty to play. Love your work!
    I can't wait for the Big Bluegrass festival on Thanksgiving Weekend to really get some playing time in. She's been down for a month.
  16. bassist14

bassist14

nice looking old bass.
    i think it would sound even better if you would trim the bridge.
    looks like a blank.
  17. dmeador11

dmeador11

I am waiting for some new strings and then do a final adjustment on the bridge. Once you cut it you can't put it back. I'm also waiting for it to settle in a little bit.
  18. bassist14

bassist14

ok, i understand.

good luck!
  19. dmeador11

dmeador11

So we thought we had the bass back together but once the strings are on, the tension is causing the neck heel repair to fail, 2 Times.
    It originally had a Lag bolt in it which was filled and replaced with a dowel, and it never had a really clean break to begin with.

We have tried Hide Glue and Titebond wood glue. Is there something else we can try or do I need to look for a new Neck??
    Where do you find a new neck to fit an American Standard with a long string length. What would a reinforced neck cost? The bass has a dovetail joint.
    Thanks for the help.