1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Restring fail - HELP!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kurotenshi, Jan 25, 2013.

1. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Hi guys, so yesterday I finally picked my LTD AX-104 to put some new strings on it and hit a major wall.
    Since I'm using B E A D tunning I bought Dunlop Heavy Drop 60 - 120. I knew this would be an issue with the nut and required a setup the problem is I cannot understand what is wrong to correct it.

After putting the new strings (and messing with the nut in the process) I tuned and found my string height was WAY high so I proceeded to look at the bridge and it is already all the way down... ok, maybe it's the neck relief, went to check it and I had actually almost no relief at all...
    I have no idea of what to do now... can you please help me?

On a second note, I wanted a bright sound so I got Stainless Steel strings but it just so happens that the Dunlop Stainless are very dark, at least compared to Dean Markley or D'Addario.
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

3. kurotenshi

kurotenshi

Thank you. I have some experience disassembling and modifying instruments, what are my real chances of "destroying" the bass on the process of shimming the neck? Is it better if I do the shim with wood?
  4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I've shimmed all my basses at one point or another....unless the neck is a total piece of crap I don't think youll destroy it.

I shim with business cards.