RESULTS: Do you own [INSERT ALBUM]?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by elgecko, Mar 23, 2014.

1. elgecko

elgecko

It all started with me wondering how many people owned Bob Marley - Legend (Bob Marley 101). To me, it wouldn't seem out of place in any music collection regardless of whether that collection was predominantly rock, or hip hop, or classical, or Canadian death reggae core. The next album was Dark Side of the Moon, the second best selling album of all time. That made me wonder what the most widely owned albums on TB were.

With the help of a few other TBers, we now have numbers for sixteen albums. Some are the best selling albums of all time, the obvious candidates for most widely owned album. Some are considered the finest albums of all time...some are both. A few are considered "must own" albums as Jaco Pastorius is to bass players or because they represent an artist's magnum opus.

Here are the results in order of increasing ownership; the number in parentheses indicates the total number of respondents. There are some who will claim these results are highly skewed; that only fans of particular albums or artists would respond. Those people only need to go as far as the first entry to see how untrue that is. Others will claim the results are meaningless, citing problems with data collection or other statistical issues. To those people: This is an internet forum...lighten up! :)

23.5% Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A. (81)

In a surprise upset, The Boss unseats Montrose from the bottom spot in the "Do you own [INSERT ALBUM]" series. I had no idea that so many people had so much disdain for Springsteen...you learn something new everyday,

32.8% Montrose - Montrose (55)

Meat Loaf's tenure at the bottom was short lived. It's been replaced by Montrose's self titled album whose low standing probably isn't a surprise to anyone. Incidentally, Montrose also scored the lowest participation of any poll lending credence to the idea that the size of the fan base for a particular artist may have some effect on the results.

43.7% Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (103)

Bat Out Of Hell has edged out The Eagles for low spot in the poll. According to the thread, I was most likely relentlessly bombarded by the album in my youth but apparently, none of it stuck into my musical memories.

47.6% The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 (168)

The third best selling album of all time. I was truly surprised by the low ownership of this album and was actually a little bummed out. I'm a native Southern Californian and these songs are burned into my DNA. :atoz:

51.1% Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (90)

The eleventh best selling album of all time. Some people couldn't get past the estrogen and angst fueled nature of this 90s masterpiece and the relatively low ownership was not surprising.

51.9% Michael Jackson - Thriller (81)

Some people couldn't separate their feelings about the album and freak show that was the man, getting this thread locked early. He was the King of Pop and the relatively low ownership of Thriller was not surprising. What was surprising is that Thriller is the best selling album of all time. Apparently, it wasn't necessarily musicians buying the album.

61.3% AC/DC - Back in Black(155)

Fourth best selling album of all time. From this point on, it's probably safe to say a majority of TBers own the album.

62.8% Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (156)

The sixth best selling album of all time and treasure trove of classic rock radio fodder.

63.4% Nirvana - Nevermind(161)

The thirty-seventh best selling album of all time and harbinger of the grunge era.

63.7% Bob Marley - Legend (135)

The thirty-eighth best selling album of all time and the one that started it all. My ownership estimate was much higher. :meh:

67.0% Guns 'N'Roses - Appetite For Destruction [103)

Guns 'N' Roses freshman effort and twenty-ninth best selling album of all time. An album that marked a coming change in rock music.

68.6% Deep Purple - Machine Head (118)

Deep Purple's magnum opus and influential album in the development of heavy metal. :bassist:

70.1% Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius (241)

A "must have" album for all electric bassists...or apparently, 70.1% of them! :p

70.8% Jethro Tull - Aqualung (96)

Jethro Tull's fourth album and also their best selling album.

72.0% Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow (100)

Jeff Beck's seventh album.

76.6% Stanley Clark - School Days (64)

Stanley checks in at 76.6%. A few points ahead of Jaco. I never would've guessed that.

77.9% Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life (95)

Stevie Wonder's magnum opus.

78.3% Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (83)

Ninth best selling album of all time and fourth in a long line of fine albums.

80.3% The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (162)

Twelfth best selling album of all time considered one of the first "concept albums".

81.0% Steely Dan - Aja (205)

Steely Dan's magnum opus and perhaps most finely produced album of all time.

84.2% Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (221)

Second best selling album of all time. I love Pink Floyd and the relatively high ownership takes a bit of the sting out of the whole Eagles thing. :p

88.1% Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (176)

The winner by a decent margin. I would've never guessed in a million years that this would be the album with the highest ownership. If there's one thing I learned, it's that I have absolutely no idea what albums TBers own!!!
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    blindrabbit and bluesdogblues like this.
  2. StayLow

StayLow

Cool list. Thanks.

Amazing to see so few owning "Back In Black". Sad. At least the best of the bunch comes in at #1.

"Nevermind" was closer to the death knell of the grunge era than it's harbinger.

Nirvana, by their own admission, were 2nd or 3rd generation NW grunge.
  3. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I have three of them, and of the three listen the most to Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow.
  4. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Songs In The Key Of Life by Stevie Wonder would be a good one. One of the seminal albums in the history of music. IMHO
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Another good measure is total ownership. For example, only 47.6% of those who responded to the Eagles thread might own the album; but if I recall correctly, there were a lot of posts in that thread, and there seemed to be more people highly antagonistic to the Eagles than any of the others. But there might have been a higher total of owners than of some of the other albums.
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Really? I get the impression that there are people who own Kind Of Blue who don't even own a device to play it back on! They don't listen to Kind Of Blue, they just own it as a status symbol.
    ebozzz likes this.
  8. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

I own Miles but haven't listened to it in many many years. My personal jazz tastes always ran more hard bob/be-bop toward Horace Silver, Art Blakey and many if the Sax greats of the time like Dexter Gordon, Tina Brooks, etc.

If you asked me for a great jazz into album I would suggest Best of Horace Silver #2 on Blue Note be file I would choose Miles.

But we all have our tastes...
  9. JimK

JimK

Elgecko...hope we're not done with these "Do You Own _________" threads.
    IMO, these was a breath of much needed fresh air in the RECORDINGS Forum.
  10. OldDog52

OldDog52

I'm suspicious of an anti-Eagles bias in the survey. "It wouldn't be cool for me to admit I own that".
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I own The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits, AC /DC - Back In Black, Deep Purple - Machine Head, Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV, The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.
    Don't really care for Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, Jeff Beck or Jaco Pastorius. Can't believe Alanis Morissette and Nirvana even made the list.
  12. dalkowski

dalkowski

Very cool exercise, looking forward to more.

But I have to ask: What is the "it all" that Bob Marley Legend started?
  13. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I had no idea Jagged Little Pill sold so many copies. Wow. For some reason I find that extremely disheartening.
  14. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Elgecko's series of polls.
  15. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Man, [INSERT ALBUM] was one of the first records I bought. A true classic!
    meteor likes this.
  16. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This should help take some of the sting out of the Eagles low ownership:

I was one of the people who voted "don't own." Because I had ALL their official studio releases, so why would I buy their greatest hits album? Think about it; a lot of people who are musicians are not the type to by a greatest hits album, and it was the only greatest hits album in the group.

Not owning Thriller had nothing to do with my opinion of Michael Jackson as a person. (I really don't HAVE an opinion on that.) I just didn't like that album. "Beat it" is a song that made me change the station on the radio; "Billie Jean" even moreso, and the only song I actually liked on that album was the title track, and mostly because it had Vincent Price, and a cool video.

I liked Michael's earlier stuff, but Thriller was too slick; too pop; too EIGHTIES. Just not my bag.

And I love female rockers; I love Heart, Pat Benatar, The Runaways, and lots of female artists, but Alanis Morrisette just bugged me. Not my thing at all.

The rest of the albums I own, except for Jaco and Miles. I guess I'm not a big jazzer. I had Weather Report's "Heavy Weather," which I really liked, and other jazz and fusion albums.

I promise I will get both of those, as I feel obliged to after all this.
  17. marko138

marko138

I didn't answer any of the polls but I only own Back In Black and Zeppelin IV.
  18. elgecko

elgecko

Perhaps. In the case of the Eagles, 80 of the the 168 respondents owned the album. That's only 1 less than the total number of people who voted on Thriller and 3 less than the total number of people who voted on Led Zeppelin. Because of the disparity in number of respondents, I decided to report in terms of percentage.

I'm inclined to believe that 100%. :ninja:
  19. elgecko

elgecko

Not at all! :)

It's easy enough to edit this thread and/or add new entries. It was time for a placeholder. Writing the OP, I'd completely forgotten about a few of the threads. Only my search fu reminded me of them! :p
  20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I enjoyed the "Do You Own..." threads. Good stuff.
  21. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

In the end i own two of those, Thriller and Nevermind, plus i have the majority of Back in black, but not all, in mp3 format. I don't have even one song from any of the rest (i've been mp3 only since about 2001)

I listened to Dark side of the moon as a teen and i might have the tape my mom had given me then (she use to listen to it as a teen herself) somewhere so i guess this sorta counts as having it but i haven't given it a listen since my teen years.

I thought for sure Jagged little pill would be the least owned, im surprised about the Eagles. But secretly delighted, i really cant stand The Eagles...