1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Resurrecting an ABM 500 EVO II Combo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Marial, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Just thought I'd share a little project I'm mostly farming out. My EVO II combo is probably eight or nine years old now and looks it, so I decided to look into redoing the tolex and completely refurbishing it. It's a fantastic amp and the first amp I'd owned that I felt I got 'my' tone out of. Unfortunately, years of gigging and rough treatment had pounded the poor thing into a pretty pitiful state.

I stopped in at American Music, my favorite local shop, to see if they could do the re-tolexing in addition to the regular repairs that were needed. NOOOOOOOO WAAAAY was the immediate response, but, being the awesome guys that they are, they right away started to look for another local option. They didn't find one but they did point me in the right direction and I ended up emailing Soldano. A nice gent there named Bill said they could do it but it would be helpful if I could pull the hardware etc.

So... last night I gutted the amp and pulled the existing tolex as best I could. Here are the first set of photographs. As the project goes on I'll update it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Marial

It's getting there. I love the new tolex, decided in the end to go with a black western style. I can't say enough good things about the folks at Soldano, they've been great. I'm headed over there tomorrow with the guts to see if they're comfortable doing the repairs or if I need to take it to Condor or American Music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

3. creis2

creis2

Looks nice, the ABM is one of my favorite heads. Are you changing the speakers?

4. pattyløve

pattyløve

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Looking awesome, cant wait to see the final product :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marial

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I'm going to swap out the speakers or not. I honestly know next to nothing about speakers/drivers and all that, but the thought has crossed my mind. I suspect due to budget constraints I probably won't right now, but it's something I'm definitely going to look into down the line.

Any recommendations? I like a really warm, buttery, tone.

7. Marial

It's done and back home and I am absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. Russ at Soldano is THE MAN for tolex. Russ, Bill, and Mike Soldano were all fantastic and I can't recommend them enough.

I'm also happy to report that they went through the amp and other than still needing a bulb for the VU meter, which they didn't have, it sounds amazing, so there is no need for new speakers/drivers. I'd forgotten just how good this amp sounds. As soon as I get a road case for it my Ampeg big rig is getting moth balled.

Crappy cell phone pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm actually finding, at least with my fretless, that I don't even need to run my Tone Hammer DI. :bassist:

8. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    It looks fantastic! what a good job they did, Soldano have always been pure quality.
    By the way, If you find where to get a new bulb for the VU meter can you keep me posted, as I have an even older ABM EVO 0 that needs one.:bassist:

9. Marial

Thanks! :hyper: This is the contact page for the local Ashdown servicer: Condor Electronics. The email address goes to a guy I know but I don't know if he still works there so I've sent him a message via FB to double check. If they have them in stock I can get one and send it out to you. :bassist:

10. Marial

Spoke with Condor, and what they're actually doing now is installing LEDs in the VU meters (then you never have to think about it again). I'm going to pull the head out tonight and take a look at how difficult it is to remove the VU meter. They can then do the swap for thirty bucks or so.

11. Marial

Oh... you might PM Jaquo III-X. He has been very helpful with regards to Ashdown questions.