retrieving my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Mar 24, 2014.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat. Supporting Member

In the whole year that I've been playing bass, I've owned six basses. I currently have four. I sold one to get another, and I got one taken away from me. I don't mean it got stolen of course! The reason why I started playing was because my roommate randomly asked if I wanted to learn so I could play in his band. At that time I was a broke 17 year old with little prior knowledge of stringed instruments and music itself. My first bass was my roommate's friend's bass - a Squier Classic Vibe Precision Tele-style bass. Although it was pretty beat up and had the electronics buzzing like crazy, it was a very great bass to me! I adored the tone and feel to it, even though I didn't know how to set it up myself or even had it set up by a professional. I just grabbed it and started playing as-is. Well, the original owner randomly asked for it last year, so I gave it back. So, my question for today is, I'm going to try to convince this guy to sell it to me. The pickup cover is ripping off, the pots are broken, and the frets are pretty uneven. What would you guys offer if you were in my position and wanted that bass? I think they sell for 300 something new, so it shouldn't be too expensive. And with what I know now, I will be able to fix it.

2. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat. Supporting Member

Let's try it again, without the boring story....
    what would you pay for a beat up Squier Classic Vibe Precision '50s Bass?

3. Apolicious

Apolicious

Pics would help, but this sounds pretty rough. I'm not sure what you mean by the pickup cover "ripping off." And which pots are broken? Do they do anything at all? But the fretwork is the scariest bit here.
    You can always take the Pawn Stars route - ask an expert. Take it to the nearest luthier and ask them to assess its problems, and how much it would cost to fix. Baring in mind, of course, there are different levels of "fixed."

Still, assuming what you're describing is as bad as it sounds, I wouldn't pay a penny more than $100. Used models seem to be selling for $250 or less, and NOBODY wants to fix up a busted-ass squier. So say you snab it for $100, then sink $150 to make it perfect... not that great of a deal, all things considered. You could just buy a used one for the exact same price, without all the wonkiness.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

You're new here aren't you Apolicious? Tons of guys here would fix up a CV 50's p if they got it for the right price. Plenty of guys here do their own refrets and it costs them next to to nothing. Pots are like $7 a piece TOPS.

if the pickup is good and the neck/truss rod is good, it is worth it for right price.

Without pics of the bass it is impossible to come up with an offer.

OP says the pots don't work at all, maybe it's been rewired to bypass the pots; straight to the jack. Even shot pots will do SOMETHING to the signal when connected: static, kill the signal when touched, etc.

Correct concise info and pics would yield better estimates but yes it sounds like $100 would be too much to pay.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JP_1337

JP_1337

I'm not one to let sentimental value factor in too much on a purchase. If you REALLY want it back, talk to him and find out what it is worth to him, if his price sounds fair considering the condition of the instrument, it's your decision to buy it. If his price is too high, make a counter offer and don't be too proud to walk away.

At this point, as others have said, we don't have enough details to put a price tag on this bass. From your description, faulty electrics, broken pots, pickup cover coming off, uneven frets, I can assume the finish might have some chips or scratches too, there is no way I would go near the hundred mark for that.

It sounds like it would make a nice project bass, needing an entire overhaul. But get it cheap or get something else IMHO

Well, that's my two cents. It's your call in the end. What are YOU willing to pay for it?

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

This. You're the only one who knows the sentimental value of this bass. You know what it costs new and you know what condition it's in. You've also bought other instruments in the meantime. You have everything you need already to come up with a number you're willing to pay. "Correct" market value means little here. It all comes down to how badly you want it.

8. David Jayne

David Jayne