Returning after many years

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by joelns, Mar 10, 2014.

1. joelns

joelns

I learned to play as a kid, 7th grade I think. Played for a long time and got reasonably good. Ended up in with a regular playing gig in a wedding/bar-mitzvah type band and finally burned out. This would have been in '89. Went off college and life intervened. My bass has sat in it's gig bag ever since.

I pulled it out and am getting interested in relearning. There's a lot of good info on the board here, but I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for. Maybe I just suck at searching :meh:.

Anyway, I'm thinking it's time to relearn how to play. I have no chops left, but do remember the basics. Anyone have a good suggestion on a book or something that will help me get back to some level of competency?

I went by a local shop today but didn't have a great deal of time. May go back over tomorrow afternoon if the schedule permits and ask some questions. I did get my hands on a lovely Rickenbacker and the feel was outstanding. Also checked out a new Fender Jazz, but the neck shape didn't work so well with my small hands. If I stick with it, I'll have to start looking for a new bass!

Thanks for reading and any advice you may offer to returning player.
  2. WeeTee

WeeTee

How about "Bass Aerobics" by Jon Liebman? I'm working through that at the moment and I'm finding it an absolute joy. It's a book of 52 two-page studies, but each study is designed to be musical, not just technical.

Also, maybe some of the Friedland books, which are often recommended here?
  3. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

++1 for Ed Friedlands 3 Method books + CD's. I did mine with an instructor.
  4. joelns

joelns

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll look into them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes to Ed's books. Ed has a knack for writing instructional books.

I found Bass Guitar for Dummies a big help. The patterns from Dummies are second to none.

The other books listed have value. I think that is what you will find, now days there is just more "stuff" available.

Scott Devine's videos have value. Google can find them for you.

Welcome back.