1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Returning player...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Adbass83, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Adbass83

Adbass83

Hey all...hoping for some advice, it's a kinda "which bass" thread but not the usual!

I'm a returning player...learned to play for 3 years on a basic squire fender pbass.

I stupidly gave up cuz people kept telling me I'd enjoy a normal guitar more...spent a year or so learning and it so isn't more fun!!

Looking to return to the bass but I'm wondering about some suggestions for a more intermediate range bass? Or should I repurchase the squire (sold mine to fund my guitar)? My price range is upto £400ish...

Oh and anyone think its worth upping to a 5string? Just thinking that as an already experienced player it won't trip me up but I could use it to give me more freedom when playing

Cheers
    Ad
  2. bassteban

bassteban

If you were happy w/the Squier, it may be a good place to return to, but try a few different bases out and go w/what seems right. There are a TON of cheap, yet absolutely serviceable axes out there these days.
    I'd tend to agree that guitar is often more versatile and EB
    entertaining(played solo)but if you are a bass guy at heart, that's where you'll want to be.
    Welcome back.
    :cool:

Edit: On the 5-string question- I wouldn't necessarily call a 5er an upgrade unless you have a specific need or desire for one. Do you ever want for more range? More available notes in a given position? If so, maybe you'd like a 5; if not, 4 strings may be plenty. Try before you buy
  3. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

4 strings will be plenty. Get comfortable with bass again then start thinking about if you need a 5. Personally 4 get it done for me and does for ALOT of bassists at all skill levels.

As for a bass you cant go wrong going back to what you had before. P bass style (very versatile) maybe one of the newer Squiers like a VM or CV would be keeper basses for years to come.
  4. Adbass83

Adbass83

Thanks for the advice all...

I only had one thing against the squire really...it's looks!
  5. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

If a music store is handy to you, drop by & try as many as you can, both 4 and 5 strings. Whichever one makes you feel the most comfortable should be "your" bass. You don't have to buy it at that store, but from that point, you can begin researching other dealers, prices, etc. You could also consider used instruments to maximize your money. The money saved in buying used instead of new could be put toward something else (amp, etc).
  6. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i don't know what kind of squier you had, but the newer ones have come a long way. they're pretty solid instruments. after 12 yrs of playing, i "stepped down" to a (matt freeman sig) squier and love it. turns out, it was not a step down after all!
  7. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

First of all, welcome back to the deep end of the musical pool!!!
    The best advice about "choosing your weapon" has already been given- go to as many shops as possible in your area and try as many different basses as you can. Find out what body shape you find most comfortable and what sounds best to your ears.

The whole 4 vs 5 string thing is largely a matter of preference, convenience and the music you play.
    I've had a 5er around for years and I was thinking off and on about selling it. But now I landed a gig in a modern country band and its pretty much a necessity for me now because I find myself reaching for the low D a lot.

I took one of my 4s to our 1st rehearsal but I quickly could see the need for the 5. So much country music is based on G, C, D, A it isnt funny and being able to go to the low D just puts extra oomph into a lot of the songs. I used the low C# a couple of times and in one song I hit a low B under the intro to fill in where a piano plays in the original recording.

And I have a D-tuner on one of my other basses but I just dont like the feel of the E string when you drop down to D.
    So now I'm actually in the market for another 5er but I'll never gt rid of my 4s. They still feel like "home" to me but for now I'm focusing on the 5.
  8. Adbass83

Adbass83

Thanks for the welcome...

I had a squire fender precision...not the jazz one.

Although I just checked my closest music shop and they do the gig pack (guitar, amp, cable and soft case) but its the jazz bass and I don't know I'd that'll sound too different? I'm mostly going to be playing rock, probably older rock like ACDC.

They have a nice looking Yamaha rbx375 which is a 5 string...

Oh and the other thing is I'm not so sure about trying out basses as its been a good few years since I played so I won't be able to do too much.
  9. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

Dont worry about what you can/cant do when demo'ing a bass. Nobody's expecting you to sit down and play the entire bass line for Roundabout!!! (its a Yes reference, if you dont know the song, look it up!)
    Just try the different basses and noodle away to your heart's content. You;re not there to entertain the other shoppers- you're there to pick YOUR instrument.
    Enjoy the search and let us know what you get! Around here we LOVE to live vicariously through the purchases of others! :bassist::hyper:
  10. Ayce

Ayce

Welcome back to the lowend. :hyper:
    I have a Yamaha rbx375, and it's not too bad. The dual MM pickups give it a nice tone, and the powered PU's are infinately adjustable for tone. Mine has a wonky output plug, but running the cable thru the strap works fine. It's a bit uncomfy for sitting, but standing is good. String height on mine is set as low as I can get it, and it could be a bit lower for my tastes, but there are no buzzes or flat spots.
    String spacing suits me as well, but I've also learned to adapt to any spacing.
    I'll agree with everybody else, though. Try before you buy.
  11. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

Welcome back to the Thunda from down unda!

I would personally go with a Squier Matt Freeman Signature P Bass as from my opinion it is the best deal for your price range and I still recommend it for people with slightly larger budgets. I would be rocking one myself if I didn't need to fund some more amp gear first, but I've played for hours on my friend's copy and it is a superb bass with stock gear and even better with a new set of strings. Precision basses are usually my recommendation for bass players because the sound fits all kinds of music.
  12. Adbass83

Adbass83

Thanks for the comments...

As I say the one thing (which may be trivial to some) is that I don't like the fender look much...but I'll be going out to se local music shops tomorrow so ill see what I can find!

I did read that the active pickup on the yam tends to run batteries out quite quickly!

I think I will just have to sit and play about with a 5 string and see if it gets in my way when playing. The wider neck should certainly not be an issue..Having a 12" handspan!

Edit: from what I know I'd definitely rather a pbass than jazz as it suits my tastes of music better
  13. Adbass83

Adbass83

Well...I'm an impatient so-n-so!

Played a few basses in a local shop and ended up buying one from the first place I visited!

Got myself an ESP LTD B-15 with a Marshall MB15 amp.

It is a 5 string as I played about on a few 4s and 5s and if anything I found the wider neck easier to play and didn't seem to have any issues with catching the extra string.

The guy also threw in a cable, strap and stand for me as well!
  14. Ayce

Ayce

As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters, Ya?:D