Reunited! Antigua P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SturmUndDrang, Mar 19, 2014.

1. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

This is the only Precision bass I ever owned. I bought it in 97' or so and traded it in 98'. The serial # was scratched out on the headstock when I bought it the first time but for dating purposes this finish was mainly produced around 78'. The original pickguard was cracked at the jack and ended up getting tossed along with the old pots. The original pickup was replaced with a Rio Grande vintage P. It sounds good to me. The original pickup is possibly still out there in some gig bag another friend has. The one piece maple neck feels very comfy to me. It's a 1'5/8" B neck and the profile is substantial but not overly chunky. Damned if I can find any dead spots on it either. The bass is most likely ash because she's almost a hefty 11 lbs. The weight doesn't bother me because I'm used to a couple other heavy basses. I think I'll get threaded saddles for the bridge and maybe some tort. These are the best pics I have at the moment enjoy!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski

Congrats. I loves me some Antigua. Bonus points for the cig burn by the E-tuner.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Always nice to be reunited with a old love! Those are cool and unique, the finish has grow on me over the years.
  4. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Thanks. This bass has been played hard for a long time. Definitely achieving a good level of relicing and patina. I considered a refin, but I think I'm just going to leave things be. The frets are fine, I'm using flats and I love the wear on the neck. The bass resonates and sounds sweet.
  5. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    beautiful bass u got here Mr. SturmUndDrang
  6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I agree - don't touch it other than playing it. (but having said that, the threaded saddles are a good move) The way the finish has aged is so much nicer than the more recent grey version. Good fortune to you!
  7. electracoyote

electracoyote

I love these, so cool to see an original version. Tort? It's your bass, but I encourage you to think about it. The original PG's were also Antigua finished, right? Maybe someone can help you reproduce that or you can find a contemporary version (but it surely won't match). Oh, and heavy ash FTW IMHO.
  8. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

The color on a new Antigua guard would definitely be much lighter, more cream to grey. My bass has yellowed much more in the center. I was looking at some of the spitfire guards, they can make any bass look hot.
  9. electracoyote

electracoyote

Right. You'd have to get an experienced paint guy to help you match it. I know a couple guys who could do it.
  10. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I agree that a well matched original design guard would be a good choice. But I can easily imagine this type of tort looking amazing too.
    [​IMG]
  11. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

I think the antigua pickguard looks too overboard. I actual like the white. Or how about maybe a yellowed white or parchment guard? Might look cool.
    Pet Sounds likes this.
  12. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

The white is a bit on the bright side. I could try soaking it in some tea or coffee. A mint guard could look cool too. I think mint is actually aged white celluloid. Not sure if any of the mint imitations are that great. Spitfire's tort is my frontrunner at the moment.
  13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    oh yah! - but problem is you'll never find a contemporary tort that looks like that - just aren't made like that anymore.
  14. narwhale

narwhale Supporting Member

Tbone76 likes this.
  15. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

16. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Beautiful bass. Can you gives us details on how you came to be "reunited"? Did you buy it back from the guy you sold it to?
  17. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Yes. I traded it to a friend in college for an upright bass case of all things. I didn't fully appreciate the bass at the time. It was only 20 years old when I traded it and the color wasn't pretty. Luckily I stayed friends with the guy I traded it to. He played it as his main bass for a long time but has since gotten in to six string basses. So he wasn't playing the Fender as much and I realized it was a beautiful sounding bass with a great patina on it. I rehearsed with a band with a Hammond player last night and the bass was killing it. The guys said the Precision fits the old school vibe of the band and they preferred it over my Gibson $ bass that they said sounded too much like a rock bass.
  18. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Great story. Glad you got it back. Based on the pics, the color is quite nice, not garish like some of the Antiquas I've seen. Congrats!
  19. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

Just got her back from Steve Morrill on Mass Ave in Boston. Parchment guard, thumb rest, threaded saddle bridge with aluminium foil underneath to improve ground wire contact, La Bella 760 FS Deep Talkin' Flats and some high frets on the treble side of the neck were banged in. The bass plays like a dream and I'd put her up against any Precision from any era. It's the only Precision I've ever owned and the only one I'll ever need.
    Here's one way to make an Antigua finish look good :D
    [​IMG]
    Me, my Precision and some of the beautiful girls over at the Tilted Kilt in Nashua, NH.
    Tbone76, AGH and Pet Sounds like this.
  20. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang