Reupholstering Hartke cab with Tolex?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Invisible_Kid, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Invisible_Kid

Invisible_Kid

Inspired by this thread and a custom-painted Acoustic half-stack I saw at a show last night, I've decided I want to remove the crappy rat-hair exterior of my Hartke VX115, replace it with Tolex, and paint the exterior white. Is this feasible, and if so, how would I go about doing it?

[​IMG]

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    About 10 years ago when I was using GK, I stripped the same type of covering and refinished the cabs with paint on Duplicolor truck bed liner. They came out great and the finish was very durable. I found that the easiest way to remove the rat hair was with a heat gun, just be careful to not set them on fire. I haven't seen anyone paint their cabs white but I would recommend using a high quality paint. If you know someone who has an auto body shop they might be able to paint them for you.

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Feasibility is all about how You determine it.

Prsonally I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that, a custom build from ground up would be far more feasible for me.

It's a lot of tinkering for shot down resale value and a pretty hefty wad of cash for the materials.

BUT, that's Your cab to tinker with, and since the asthetics are a huge part of it all (something that I won't deny ever), just do it if you feel like it's important to you.

"Better to regret what You have done than to regret what You didn't do".
    WITHIN' REASON of course ;).

Regards
    Sam

4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    rat fur can cover some imperfections better than a spray or roll-on finish, so if you go through with it, take the time to sand it well and fill in any knicks or dings, fastener divots, etc.

5. Register to disable this ad