Reusing Traynor ps 600 power amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by graver555, Nov 6, 2012.

1. graver555

graver555

Hello there everybody. This is my first time posting on an online forum so be nice.

I have an old Traynor PS 600 stereo power amplifier I picked up in a yard sale for 5 or 10 bucks. It has sides with stereo outputs on each side. One side works the other does not. No case no manual came with it just the amp and power amp.
    In my noobishness I first didnt even realize the power supply was part of it so after tinkering for an hour without it i went back and found it five feet from where the amp was.

Well my question is what should I do with it? Would it be worth getting repaired and selling? Or my other idea was to use the power supply and other usefull parts and make a bass amp out of it.

If neither of these ideas sound good then in a month or so I run an inflatable rock climbing wall for 2 days inside a middle school gym and I am in charge of music. Now it has a big old blower fan like a bouncy house so its loud in there and power has been a problem. Ive used a small fender practice amp before turned all the way up and a laptop but last year I almost cooked the speaker from the smell and sound. How easy would it be to hook this amp up to some old stand alone speakers (I think thats the term) and my peavey or acoustic bass amp?

If this wouldnt work any other ideas for loud pa music? I was thinking of pulling the amp from the peavey for awhile to use. Got it for ten bucks at yard sale becuase of slight flood damage.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You can get the schematic you need from Yorkville. They tend to be more than helpful.

3. graver555

graver555

Once I get the schematic do you think I should try repairing it, or repurpose it?

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Both! Double duty as a bass amp and power amp for your music needs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
  7. graver555

graver555

Thanks for the schematic. And there are 2 pairs of stereo channels. One pair works fine the other just give static and if your lucky you might hear music in it and the overload led flashes to the music.

Also the speakers I have to use with it only have binding posts on them. Would it be better to solder wires to input jacks and buy speaker cables or wire them straight into the amp itself if I were to use it as a pa?

Oh one more quick question how do you quote others responses?

8. B-string

Speakon jacks for the speaker cabs and run speaker cables.

To quote a response use the "quote" in the lower right corner of the person's post.

9. graver555

graver555

Thanks. :) And what if Im useing plain old home entertainment speakers (rather large ones though) instead of actual speaker cabs, same deal?

10. B-string

Your welcome ;) If you are only going to use those speakers for PA now, then yes. BTW I would not try to play bass through those very loud at all. The dynamics of a live bass will rip them to pieces.

11. graver555

graver555

Oh yea definitly would be a bad idea. I auditioned once for a jazz band through a small marshal combo. Interesting sounds came out. When I end up with extra time/money Im hopeing to build a 15" cab with long orange shag covering. Both for looks and something soft to sit on.

12. graver555

graver555

Well I have been working on it for about 5 hours now and I have found out that contact cleaner tastes horrible. I also think that the side that is not working is not getting any power to it as the same thing happens to the other side when you cut the power to it. I dont know where to go from here tho. Anyone work on one of these before or have had a similar problem?

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You are about as far as you can go safely. I advise seeing a Tech.

BTW you are supposed to spray the contact cleaner into the amp not your mouth!!! :D

14. B-string

That's why they include that little plastic tube! :eek: :D

15. graver555

graver555

Yea I was thinking that to when i was measureing voltage differences across stuff when it was on.

And I first placed my flashlight to close to the amp and then I put it in my mouth. And then had my face to close to the amp a few minutes later and licked my lips. Blah horrible horrible taste. :p :( And hey havnt you heard the whole dont knock it until you have tried it? Who knows it coulda tasted good. Turns out it dosnt.... :D

16. graver555

graver555

I was looking into amp electronics and am becomeing interested. Are there any good sites links or anything else to help me learn about the electronics and how amplifiers work? Solid state and tube Im both interested in. Or should I start a thread/ scour the forums for links.

17. B-string

In the FAQs/stickies there is a thread with lots of good links/info.

18. Brad T. Bass

Brad T. Bass

Is this still an active issue?? I have Two of these, bought them in the 70's, and as long as the Power Transformer is working (sounds like it is), It IS worth fixing. Haven't had to tinker with mine in several years, and as I recall, all the components were easy to come by. I'm still using them.

Very reliable (except when you LOAN it out and someone tries to run it with a 2-ohm load WIDE OPEN), Ahh, Live & Learn. Fuse didn't blow in that situation & the other channel had no issues.

You can check the Power Resistors for Opens & the Transistors / Diodes / Caps for Shorts (Ohms setting on most DVM's). I'm not a "top-end" tech, but all I did (after I verified the Caps & Power Resisters were good) was "shot-gunned" (replaced all of the active {solid-state} components in that Channel). Failures on many Solid State Amps can Domino into multiple components. I (highly) recommend bringing it up slowly on a Variac, as with any Amp repair (while watching the input vs. output on a scope), the first time.

A word of caution, BEFORE powering it up the first time, make sure the bias control is set to "mid-position". You'll then need to tweak it (the bias), according to the specs on the schematic (or just compare it to the good channel).

Most "Modern" Amps these days have FAR superior circuit protection than the "vintage" amps did. Search out the components yourself and make your own "Repair vs. Buy New" eval.

Good Luck

Brad