1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Reverend Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superHEAVYfunk, Dec 18, 2013.

1. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

Today, I finally had the chance to try a couple of Reverend basses for the first time. I've always loved the looks of these instruments but they've never made their way into my little slice of the universe until now.

I didn't get the model names but the ones I tried were the jazz-style, with two rail humbuckers and the one with a rail 'bucker in the bridge and a mudbucker in the neck.

I enjoyed the matte finish on the neck - the playability was excellent and they both sounded pretty good with both fingerstyle and slap playing. I also found that there was a wealth of tones available thru the combination of the tone knob and the blend one... Here's the thing, though: the volume difference between the two pups on both guitars was significant, especially on the one with the mudbucker. Is this a usual thing with Reverends, or did these two particular instruments just need a good setup?

Overall, I was pretty impressed, I must say. I'm going to have to consider replacing one of my basses with a Reverend one of these days.
  2. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

Also, what's the prevailing opinion of these basses around these parts?
  3. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I played one the Dub king and almost got it I loved the look but the sound was nothing special I passed.
  4. bufert57

bufert57 Ashdown User Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: 1964 Ears
    It sounds like you played the Reverend Justice.
    I love the neck on mine a lot and the locking bridge.

I haven't got to play it because right after I got it, I found my dream bass. It is the same colors. Hopefully I can sell it someday soon and maybe get one in a different color.
  5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

Reverends are awesome. Check out 'The Reverend Club' on this forum.

Rezdog
  6. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

Oh yeah! I forgot about the locking bridge. Seems like a cool idea but I can't see why it would be a necessity. The bridges on the basses I own never seem to move.

What is your dream bass?
  7. bufert57

bufert57 Ashdown User Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: 1964 Ears
    I think is cooler than it is necessary as well.

Its a Fender 62' AVRI P Bass. Oly White. That was always the one I wanted and had the opportunity to get it. But my "grail" bass would be an original 60's P in gold.

I always had an eye for Reverend though and they make great Basses and Guitars.
  8. howlin

howlin

Always liked Reverend stuff. Unfortunately, the current run of basses have a stupid nut width IMO. Big big. I don't need another bass anyway . . .
  9. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

Can anybody comment on the volume discrepancy between the two pickups? It seems huge to me and I wonder if this is usual with Reverends...?
  10. millsbass5

millsbass5

Man, I'd love to have one of the older Brad Houser 5's. IMO, the older Reverends are the better basses, compared to their current line of basses. But, I'm sure they're very much still great basses.