Reverend Dub King questions - short scale with long arms

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Dec 31, 2013.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

So I'm really curious about the Dub King. I want a reasonably priced hollow/semi-hollow and I dig the way it looks. I saw one played live once and it sounded fantastic. Anyway, I've always avoided any bass with a scale shorter than 34" because I am over 6'2" and have long arms (shopping for sportcoats and jackets is tough.) I briefly owned a 32" scale Aria bass and, while it was nice, I found my arms felt a bit scrunched after a while. Maybe I just need to adjust my playing posture. That being said, I'm not sure if the Reverend Dub King actually has a shorter neck than your typical 4-string Fender or what have you. Do they simply move the bridge closer? Because if so, and I still play with my hand over the rear pickup (which is really moved forward to the sweet spot due to the bridge position), wouldn't it be just like playing any other bass? What I'm trying to avoid is scrunching my arms up as if I were playing a ukelele or something like that :D

All thoughts, especially from my monkey-arm brethren, much appreciated :D:hyper:
  2. TimBosby

3. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

I don't think you'll have a problem. I'm around as tall as you and I've played a Dub King on a strap without difficulty, as well as other short-scale basses like Hofner copies. Takes a minute or two to adjust, and then you're good to go.
    The Dub King is a killer bass, aesthetically and tonally.
  4. TimBosby

Thanks, Dave, I'm thinking about it, although a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody is still my first choice.
  5. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

I love short scale. My arms are about average length for a 6' 2" man. I'm 5' 7" with small hands. Then again, you have to think about guys who are taller than you who play those really short scale six string piccolo basses.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm 6'4 and over 277lbs I love my Hofner and would have bought the Dub King but I didn't care for the sound it felt good and was built nice.