1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Reverse engineer Walk This Way

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by t77mackie, Feb 12, 2014.

1. t77mackie

t77mackie

To my ear Aerosmith's Walk This Way sounds like a bass with P&J pups strung with flats.

What would be a good set of strings to get his tone from that track? Any old set of flats or something more specific? Or am I just way off from the get go?

Thanx in advance.
  2. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

It always sounded like flats to me too... I've come fairly close with LaBella 760FLs (43-104) on my Jazz with the pickups in series mode.

YMMV
  3. t77mackie

t77mackie

Thanx, squatch. WtW is not my favorite tune in the world but I always loved the old school tone he got on that track. Really nice round bottom and a cool mid range tone.

I'm gonna be doing some recording soon and I wonder if anyone has any insight into what was done on that track.

Keep 'em comming, please.
  4. eriky4003

eriky4003

I could be wrong but I also believe Tom used a pick on the song based on the attack.
  5. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Low action would help, too... just gave it a listen again, and I'm hearing some grit and clank.
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

I thought this too when I learned it.

Then I saw him play it live with his fingers. Not that live = studio, but it made me think.

I still play it with a pick and rounds. :) In fact, I go for a growly tone so it cuts through.

+1
  7. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

I heard several times that the track was done by Joe Perry. As busy as the line sounds and how it is total opposite of the other bass tracks on the album led me to believe that this may be possible. Guitarists playing bass usually play around the root or totally over the top IMO.
  8. t77mackie

t77mackie

Well, I imagine back in '75 they didn't have the multitude of strings we have today. Probably Fender brand or Roto's, no? What would be the modern equivalent? Roto's are basically unchanged, no?
  9. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

LaBella and GHS were already around too, but I'm not sure how much of the market they commanded at the time.
  10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Interesting. Now you're making me want to put on my research hat.

Tom Hamilton can write a complex, unconventional bass line; indeed, he's responsible for some of the most memorable hooks featured on Aerosmith tracks (i.e. "Sweet Emotion"). But it wouldn't surprise me if Perry stepped in.

BTW, this one is worth learning correctly, and it is probably one of the most hacked bass lines ever. When I play it the way it is on the original, my band mates and sound techs are pretty stunned and impressed. Love those high register licks (that does sound like something a guitar player would do). Great line, worth the extra time and effort.
  11. Jungy

Jungy

Sounds like rounds with a pick to me.
  12. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

A little-known fact is that it's actually Steven Tyler playing drums on the track. The story was that at the time Joey Kramer said he thought the song was a steaming pile and wanted nothing to do with it so Steven played drums on it. The irony is it's arguably their biggest and most well known song and he's had to play it every night for the last 30 years.
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote

Tried it last night with a P-Bass strung with flats and a pick.

Sounded good. Tamed it a bit, but in a nice way. It became a bit more articulate.
  14. c10

c10

I heard Back in the Saddle was a Fender VI, maybe this one is too?
  15. squirefan

squirefan

I read that, too. And it was Joe Perry playing it.
    I always thought Tom was playing a MusicMan on it (Walk This Way), as pictures around that time show him playing one.
  16. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Album was released in '75, and I think I saw elsewhere here that the Stingray didn't come out until '76.

Double Live Bootleg, '78/'79 has pics of him with a MM as well as a P with anodized PG.