Reverse Jaguar 2 Gigs in one day report

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I did a church program and subbed with a classic rock band on Saturday. I have the Jaguar in the classifieds because I just haven't warmed up to it. I'm probably going to pull the ad and experiment more.

The Church gig: Played seated. The Jaguar felt strange with it across my leg. Just wasn't comfortable. Tone really didn't come into play because of the volume. I was part of an orchestra and just tried to "fit in." Comment from my friend-"whoooooa!"

The Rock Band gig: I usually don't start a gig with a unfamiliar piece of gear, but this time was an exception. It says "Fender" on the headstock but it doesn't sound like any Fender I have ever played. It's equipped with two humbuckers with a single volume and single tone control. There is a three way pickup selector. I prefer the middle position. Very meaty with definition, the neck pickup is darker when solo'd while the bridge has a thinner sound by itself (duh.)

They played everything from "Josie" to "Everybody Wants You" and it provided a very solid, satisfying bottom. Comment from the guitarist-"whooooa!" While I was playing, some guy walks up to me and shows me a stock photo of a Jaguar on his iphone. Not sure why.

Here is the breakdown-

Good:
    Looks pretty cool, plays well, sounds nice.

Bad:
    Strap button location sucks, I had to use the skinny end of my strap to make it work. Maybe changing it to one of the neck plate screws would help.

Playing up the neck is tough. "Alright Now" is not as fun as it used to be.

The reverse headstock is cool, but you have to think before tuning. Long Scale strings work just fine. I like several windings on each tuner post. The D string is the only one I had to trim to avoid overlapping winds.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. bassvi

bassvi

These basses are underrated. They do a great classic or modern tone. Playing high is the Achilles heel, but can be done. Almost worth it to have a Thunderbird style bass with Fender tone...mine did great on a Chicago/BST tribute show..

3. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Thanks for the reviewage!

Reverse Jag is cool for cats.