1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Reverse Shill Bidders?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I don't know what to call it, but I had an item on ebay (I just don't learn.) At auction's end I see the high bidder has zero feedback and joined ebay that day (just great!) I send the invoice and shortly after I send a note to the next highest bidder letting them know that the high bidder would probably not go through with it and I would offer it to him if it didn't pan out.

Later I get an email from the "winner" saying "I didn't realize my bids were automatic and that I was accidentally bidding against my husband. I can't afford that, can you give me a discount?" The ending price was 276.00. The second high bidder was pretty close but wrote back " Sorry, we didn't know we were bidding against each other. I'll give you a hundred dollars for it."

So they bid the auction way up so they could secure the item and then tried to cut my throat. I reported them and blocked them. I would love to beat them with a shovel.
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I always set my account so a bidder has to have five positive feedbacks before they can even bid.

Report them to ebay, they may let you relist it for free.
  3. IPA

IPA

I would report and follow up, that's unacceptable
  4. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I never saw that option, and I looked for ways to stop zero feedback bidders. There was no way to block them (that I could find).
  5. Stinsok

I just found that!
  6. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Found what, how to block zero feedback bidders?

If so, it must have changed in the last few years.
  7. Stinsok

You can make that change in your Seller Account. There are easy instructions.
  8. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Thanks, it must have changed, or it was in a place I wasn't looking.
  9. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Isn't winning an auction a contract to buy? I'm not an ebay whizz, so not sure about how to play this. Can't you insist that the "winning" price is paid in full?
  10. Stinsok

I can insist but there is no way to force them to pay up.
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

This is interesting. eBay is a human cesspool, but I hadn't heard of this particular stunt before.

Now that I can't gig any more, I'd be thrilled to offload a ton or two of gear and if I get desperate enough to turn to eBay, stories like this may serve to save me some frustration.
  12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

What about that "beating them with a shovel" thing you suggested in your opening post? Even if you employed that?