1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Reversing the Reverse Polarity on a J to make a Ric.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TriuneYHWH, Jan 31, 2013.

1. TriuneYHWH

TriuneYHWH

Hey people (I used to say guys, but I'm told it's not PC),
    I was reading today (or YouTubing) that the difference in tone to Ricks and Fender Js is that the two pickups of the J bass have a reverse polarity. It cuts out the noise, but a lot of the "chunk" also. So, the Ricks sound can be attributed to the fact that its two pickups have the same polarity.
    The question I have is this- can I get a second neck pickup and put it in the bridge pickup position on my J, effectively reversing the reverse polarity?
    That would save me a crap ton of money that don't have at the moment...
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Joe L.
  2. eukatheude

eukatheude

You can just swap one pickup's hot and ground wires, but it still won't sound like a ric. The key is in the pup position:
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

nope, not even close.

that the J's pickups are RW/RP from each other and the ric's aren't has no effect at all on the sound. it only removes the hum.
  4. dmusic148

dmusic148

What Walter said.
  5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Since the two Jazz pickups have reversed magnets, they are also the same polarity.

Ricks have totally different pickups. They are also just different sounding basses and have a slightly shorter scale length than a Fender.
  6. PJRL

PJRL

A Jazz will never sound like a Ric .... you just need a Ric, :smug:
    and I want one as well, to go along with my P and J basses...
  7. walterw

now if you were to put those jazz pickups in the same locations as on a ric, you'd go a long way towards that sound. (i think at least one TB'er has done that.)
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

No truth to that at all. On my 4003 Ric, I did a RWRP mod to the bridge pup (reversed wiring and flipped the magnet). The hum was cancelled, but the tone stayed exactly the same as before the mod.
  9. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. Or read either. Check the source it's coming from. :D

Interestingly my Ibanez sounds a lot like a Rick lately.
  10. lug

lug

Dave Meros of Spock's Beard had a ric with pup pairs in both the Ric and Jazz positions (4 pups total) that he could select between. It certainly worked for him.
  11. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Dave Meros:

(video is mirror imaged)

I love the sound of that bass.
  12. line6man

line6man

What you have to understand is that RWRP winding is specifically meant to NOT affect the tone. If you flip the magnets, -or- swap the polarity, the pickups will be out of phase, but if you do both, the signal is the same whether the pickups are RWRP or not. What RWRP winding does is allow any hum to be out of phase while the signal is in phase.
  13. lug

lug

I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE ALL LEFT-HANDED! :eek:

:D

Pic of his original 4 pup ric (I think)
    [​IMG]
  14. joelb79

joelb79

I'd love to know how that is wired up.. sweet!
  15. walterw

subliminal typo is subliminal :hyper:

a lot of those sources should be "chucked", as in "thrown away".
  16. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Damn auto spell correct! Maybe it was Chuck Norris. He has a Rickenbacker in his beard.
  17. Meddle

Meddle

Buy a set of toaster pickups, fit one around the 24th fret position, and one around the 3rd fret position up from the bridge and you will be a teeny tiny closer to sounding like a Rick.
  18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Guys is now considered a gender neutral expression when used to address a mixed or unknown group. Enjoy.