REVIEW GK MBE AND MBP 2X12 CABENETS

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by steveb119, Dec 24, 2013.

1. steveb119

steveb119 Supporting Member

Well I finally got to play out this past weekend with my new down sized rig . mbe 2x12 w/ mbp 2x`12 powered extention cab. we played Friday and saturday at a medium sized bar that we play at regularly and that holds about 200 . this set up was amazing. I still can't believe that it is as powerful as my old rig. 2 GK 4x10 neo cabs and crown xls 1500 amp. it was so loud that the band and owner had asked me to turn down after two songs. I think I was just so into playing and hearing this new set up that I didn't know that I was over powering everyone. once I got it under control everyone was amazed the all that sound was coming from this small combo with an extension cab, after the second set and some tone adjustments I was also very pleased with the tone and fullness of the sound and I only played my squire jaguar bass that has only a few mods, basically a 350.00 bass and it sounded as good or better than the old rig with the dingwall super j bass. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. thanks again TB for all your help. reading these forums and getting help from people who know and are willing to help and advise others is priceless. I guess that's what makes this forum work . thanks again everyone P.S. 4X10 NEOS ARE IN CLASSIFIEDS FOR SALE

Attached Files:

2. Bob C

Bob C

To clarify, you have the MB212-ll combo, right? MBE is the (unpowered) extension speaker, I believe.

I just posted some questions about the MB series. How would describe the sound and power handling capabilities of the cabinets?

3. steveb119

Yes I have the new mb2x12 combo with the mbp powered extension cabinet . I don't know why I put mbe?. I put the pics of them in my review. I love these cabinets . I had a mb1x15 combo years ago for a practice amp and it was great. at the time I thought that I needed the big 4x10 cabs and big amp for enough power to play out until I realized that these small combos and cabinets are just as powerful and good sounding as the bigger heavier gear I was using. 3 pieces to my rig now well under 100 lbs total. the 2 cabinets and a briefcase with my power cord , compressor, sans amp and pedal tuner

4. Bob C

Bob C

Steve,

I'm considering an MB series rig. Do they have cloth grills or metal?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

The MB-II Series have black grill cloth as you can see in my photo below.

[​IMG]

TD

7. steveb119

mine are the new models with cloth grills. see pics in first post

8. Blankandson

Blankandson

Could you let us know where you had your settings on both bass and combo please? Thanks in advance.

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FYI: different bands/groups and rooms may require different settings - so just set your setting wherever they sound best for the group that you're playing with and in the room that you're playing in.

10. steveb119

what JOE said thanks JOE could not have said it better

11. Bob C

Bob C

BTW, all the MB series cabs are ported, right? I assume so, but don't recall actually reading it anywhere. GK touts their efficiency.

12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I believe that most of them are ported. However the MB410-II is sealed.

TD

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I agree these are small stack monsters. I have the MB115 w/ a MB115 powered cab and it rocks. The only issue I have is the paint or whatever they use scratches and chips kind of easy.

I touch it up with a black sharpie so its not a biggie.

Do any of you use the contour button or do you feel it suks all the mids out live?

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I recommend getting padding covers - I have www.studioslips.com covers for mine and love them - and no, I don't use the contour.

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Ahhh.... cool thanks Joe.

16. heynorm

heynorm

+1 to Joe: get covers. I added an MB112ii over a year ago and it can chip even with tender load in/outs. Like bassbully says: Sharpie to touch up. I bring along the 112 and run the chain-out as a pre- into my 1st ed. MB115 when the 15 needs a little more fill and ooomph if there's no PA support for a medium size room.

17. steveb119

I also got the GK covers for my new MB 212 II and MBP 212 II cabinets and they are excellent. fit and quality of materials are GREAT.