1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Review my band's video, please

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by capncal, Jan 13, 2014.

1. capncal

capncal

Looking for feedback. Positive and negative.

Thanks in advance.
  2. obimark

obimark

Playing good, nice and solid and mixed pretty good. Personally did not like the vocals. Just being honest.
  3. modulusman

modulusman

I thought it was great. Good song, great singer, band was tight and I like the way you guys used dynamics going from soft to loud.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Nice video. Nice tune. I didn't like the way the vocals were recorded. Way too low in the mix. Bass playin' was good.
  5. the yeti

the yeti

i didn't know zack galifinakis played guitar.:D

i like the video a lot. nicely done. like the singer a lot also. wasn't crazy about the guitar solo, but i think that's just a matter of style preference.
  6. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Good stuff.
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

8. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Loved it. Its completely my taste in music. I love the black crowes/ Zeppelin vibe.

Only downside for me was the vocal mix/ effect. Your singer has a great voice for your style...... but maybe a more clean in your face vocal mix with I tiny bit of clipping ( chris robinson on southern harmony musical companion ..) would be more powerful than the large hall - billy squire effect being used.
    4 out of 5.
  9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

I liked it. Cool sound and mix.
  10. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Like many of the other comments, my only issue would be with the vox...not so much the level as the sound....needs to be a fatter, punchier vocal. (The recording, not the vocalist)

Overall tho, nice work!
  11. capncal

capncal

Thanks y'all! We really appreciate the feedback. The vox seems to be the thing y'all'd change most. We love the vox! I'm thinking maybe youtube isn't the best place to hear it like we hear it on the record. If anyone wants a FREE mp3 inbox me your email and I'll send you a link.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming!
  12. masterFlash

masterFlash

A lot of good parts. But it doesn't feel like it stands on its own. The song never really takes off, and it feels like it should. It has lots of punctuated parts that stop the forward motion and interrupt the melody. If its part of a concept album and the next song continues the story, then I get it. But if it's just a single stand alone song, I want it to rock out. Of course, artistically you might consider that too cliche so that's why you didn't do it...

Aside from that, the production (music and video) is really nice.
  13. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I appear to be the only one that liked the vocals, but I was digging the vocal style. I can't speak to mixing or the recording process as I don't know much about that but I liked the style and sound of the vocals. The intro and faster/louder parts were the better parts in my opinion. I'd like to hear an entire song without the "slower" parts mixed in.
  14. capncal

capncal

masterFlash- the album is titled Derby City. it's an homage to our hometown of Louisville, KY. I find it interesting you threw out concept album, 'cause it kinda is!
  15. capncal

capncal

We really like the vocals too!

An interesting tidbit, or at least to me, we ran the vox back through a DAM Ezekiel clone pedal which gives it any "dirt" you hear on the vox. In fact, we ran guitars, bass and vox back through that little pedal and ended up using quite a bit of it on the finished record! I never would have thought to run vox through a guitar pedal.
  16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Belongs in recordings.....
  17. capncal

capncal

Cool. I wasn't exactly sure where to put it.
  18. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I like it. Very Blackcrows, zeplin, but not a knockoff. Cool.
  19. davr35

davr35

I liked it quite a bit. I would like to hear more. I would buy a CD from you but I checked you labels web page and it looks like they don't sell them
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. Maybe move it for the OP?

EDIT: thank you