1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

!!!!REVIEWS ON G&L L-2500!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassophile, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bassophile

bassophile

I had oportunity to buy G&L L2500 for very low price, but I'v never tried it. Please, can you give useful reviews on this bass. I heard that it has similarities to MM Stingray 5.

Thanks! :bassist:
  2. murphy

murphy

I wouldn't say they were similar.
    The GL is more versatile and has its' own sound
    Murphy
  3. Dave

Dave

They do have their own sound. Its kind of like saying a Lakland sounds like a SR5. You might get in the ballpark, but its got its own sound. Only played one once, but from what I remember, it had a bit chunkier neck and probly about the same string spacing as a SR5.

I cant comment on the sound a whole lot, as Ive only heard recordings, didnt have a chance to plug it in. But I wouldnt expect to get that close, different preamps and pickups.
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

I am sure Harmony Central would have a ton of reviews on the L2K.
  5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

I have never played a G&L 5 string, but the 4 stings are great. There is plenty of info here alrealdy, plus Harmony Central has 3 pages of L2000 reviews, and throw in the reviews about the ASAT too, just disregard the neck-diving comments.
  6. Mon Rominee

Mon Rominee

!!!!PEOPLE RELLY LIKE THEIR G&L L-2500's!!!!
    !!!!THE G&L L-2500 DOESN"T SOUND LIKE A MUSIC MAN!!!!
    !!!!G&L L-2500 SOUNDS LIKE A G&L L-2500!!!!
    !!!!DO A SEARCH, THEY'RE REALLY AWESOME!!!!
    !!!!I DON'T LIKE TO BUY BASSES WITHOUT TRYING THEM!!!!

;)
  7. THIRSTYGUMS

THIRSTYGUMS

I played one, it was gorgeous, nice responsive B-string, nice feel, good looks, kinda vintage-ish but much more versatile, great sound, fantastic price. <p>
    Depending on the price, and if your first impression and Gut feeling was "want that one!" I would have to say buy it. :hyper:
  8. coop

coop

lots of reviews here: L2500 reviews

G&L are hard to beat, and if you are lucky you can find them at "bargain" prices.
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I have a 2500 and I do like it. I gig it almost every weekend, it's a great workhorse bass...great "bang for the buck". They really do not sound like a SR5 at all, and the string spacing is a tad wider than the SR5, which is more comfly to me.

With the pickup selsection, series/parallel selector, and active bright switch, it has lots of tonal choices. It's also got a great slap sound.
    The neck is kind of chunky, almost P bass chunky, but the radius is very comfortable. The only thing I didn't really like is the standard dull-satin finish of the neck...a clear gloss would have felt better in my hands to me (an amber tint with gloss would have been awesome).
    The 2500 is a hefty-sort-of heavier mid-weight, mine's gotta be 10.5 pounds. Not as heavy as 70's fenders or musicmans, but still heftly. But it hangs comfortably on me with no issues, it doesn't neck-dive either.
  10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

There's one for sale in the classifieds now, in case you wanted to know.
  11. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one and like it lots.
    In single coil mode, it doe J Bass relatively well.
    In series mode, it does P Bass and MM pretty well.
    Despite the above, it has it's own tone, which I like very well. It fits me well, and I like the flat finish on the back of the neck;)
    It can bark and growl, or get mellow, very flexable tonally. Audition it, if Fender on steriods/Musicman is a sound you like, this is in your ballpark.
    Lastly, the G&L Tribute (made in Korea) models sacrifce little or nothing next to the American made models, and can be had real cheap. (I do own both) I gave ~$400 for my Tribute L2500 with a G&L hardshell case.
  12. bassophile

bassophile

I see you liked my thread title style! ;)
  13. bassophile

bassophile

I'm asking myself why are there so few endorsers of this excellent bass. I bought it last week after solding my Ibanez SR 1300 with EMG.
  14. fenderjazz68

fenderjazz68

Not every has tried one yet. :D

I like them.
  15. Joseph Sheldon

Joseph Sheldon

Just got a new one today. 3 tone sunburst / rosewood fretboard and it's American made. 1200 is a great price for a bass made this well. The finish is perfect and I had a chance to shoot over to my band's studio and plug :hyper: into my rig. It is the most versital punchy warm bass I ever played. It sounds huge!! I own a SR5 and I wanted more tone and pick up options and it also has an active/passive switch. I'm in new bass heaven. It almost does everything ecept drain your wallet like a pretty foo foo bass will!
  16. babyhuey

babyhuey

I think G&L headstocks may be the ugliest thing in the world, especially on the 4 string models. Granted, this is just me, but if I could change the headstock I'd buy one.
  17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

You forgot:

!!!!!I FEEL THE NEED TO POST IN THE THREAD WITH NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE!!!!!

I just picked up a G&L L-2500 in a trade last weekend, but I haven't had it long enough to make a truly informed post about it yet. I will say that it's the most shiny bass I've ever seen....

The neck feels like a 5 string P Bass, but this is one of the older 4+1 headstock models, and not the newer 3+2 config that apparently has a slightly smaller neck according to the review I found at the G&L website.

I really enjoy the preamp, too--almost as much as the Bongo preamp, in fact.

All in all, a great bass. This one is heavy (11 1/2 lbs, or more), but it has a great tone.
  18. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

This is good to hear, but not really a surprise. I recently bought a G&L Tribute ASAT Special guitar, and have to say that the overall workmanship and quality control are very good. The guitar sounds great, and this is no doubt to G&L using the U.S. pickups.

Hmmm...

A G&L Tribute L-2500. I'll have to look into this. :cool:

Mike