1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rewired my EB3!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassvi, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Not being a real electronics whiz, after some study I decided to install the Gibson bridge pup I just got from another TB member into my Epi Elitest EB3.

The operation went well- the Gibson PU sounds much better than the original.... it went so well I took it upon myself to disconnect the varitone I never cared for and rewire the controls to VVT. I downloaded a diagram from Best Bass Gear.... after about 5 tries I got it right!!! (never done this kind of thing before)

The mod seemed to really open up the bass.... it is a heckuva lot clearer now and can get some pretty snappy treble tones, as well as the deep mudbucker (though even it seems clearer than before!)

I did make some photos of the original wiring if I ever want to rewire it to the original, but don't see that happening unless I would want to sell it and someone really wants to use the varitone.

This learning experience has really built my confidence in working on my basses. I'm thinking maybe a Tonestyler now since there's only one tone control or maybe the EMG preamp for passive pups that replaces the tone knob. Maybe I'll leave as is. Having a lot of fun playing with it, it sounds great and it's like having a new bass. Having done the work myself I also feel like I have finally bonded with this bass, after having it for years and being frustrated to not be able to use such a beautiful instrument. I think this bass will now definitely be getting stage time :hyper: