Rewired my EB3!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassvi, Feb 1, 2014.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Not being a real electronics whiz, after some study I decided to install the Gibson bridge pup I just got from another TB member into my Epi Elitest EB3.

The operation went well- the Gibson PU sounds much better than the original.... it went so well I took it upon myself to disconnect the varitone I never cared for and rewire the controls to VVT. I downloaded a diagram from Best Bass Gear.... after about 5 tries I got it right!!! (never done this kind of thing before)

The mod seemed to really open up the bass.... it is a heckuva lot clearer now and can get some pretty snappy treble tones, as well as the deep mudbucker (though even it seems clearer than before!)

I did make some photos of the original wiring if I ever want to rewire it to the original, but don't see that happening unless I would want to sell it and someone really wants to use the varitone.

This learning experience has really built my confidence in working on my basses. I'm thinking maybe a Tonestyler now since there's only one tone control or maybe the EMG preamp for passive pups that replaces the tone knob. Maybe I'll leave as is. Having a lot of fun playing with it, it sounds great and it's like having a new bass. Having done the work myself I also feel like I have finally bonded with this bass, after having it for years and being frustrated to not be able to use such a beautiful instrument. I think this bass will now definitely be getting stage time :hyper: