1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rewiring Jazz Bazz - Vol/tone/vol/tone with s/p switch & 2 caps: Check my work?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by llldino, Jan 24, 2013.

1. llldino

llldino

Hey yall. So I'm rewiring my bass AGIAN and this time, I'm thinking of putting in another tone control so that each pickup has it's own control (a la Marcus Miller style). I've written up some schematics, would someone be so kind and check my work? Here's the scoop:

- There is a series/parallel switch
    - 2 volumes/2 tones for each pickup
    - Each tone control will be a push/pull selecting one of 2 caps. I'm assuming these work like DPDT, so that the lug on the pot needs to be wired to the actual switch that the push/pull controls.

The only part that I may have messed up is what to do with each tone control. On a stock J, the hot comes from the bridge pot into the middle lug of the tone pot, then goes to the jack. Im ASSUMING that each tone pot gets wired to the hot lug on the jack, meaning that there will be a wire from each tone pot going to the jack.

While I've got you here, is there any perceivable difference between using a 250k vs 500k for the tone pots? The 2 caps i'll be using are 0.047µF and 0.10 µF

Heres the schematic I drew: http://i46.tinypic.com/aqq8k.jpg

I REALLY appreciate any help I can get on this. Thank you!
  2. line6man

line6man

There are two problems.

First off, the tone controls are directly parallel to the output, which means that they will both act as masters, even if the volumes are not on full. On that note, a setup like this is compromised to begin with, as that interaction is still going to happen frequently when wired properly, unless you opt for resistors in series with the outputs from each set of controls.

Second, the capacitor switching is overcomplicated. You only need one pole.

What's up with the neck pickup's volume pot?
  3. 4001

Why not just install those stacked knobs with both the vol and tone on each?
  4. llldino

llldino

What would you say is the "correct" way to wire this? Do you think that it's too complicated for what benefits I would get from this? What kind of resistors would I use?

As for the capacitor switching, I didn't know you could get single pole push/pulls, maybe i'll opt for that.

I drew the neck vol pot wrong initially, Disregard the black scratched out part near the left lug.
  5. line6man

line6man

I'll post a diagram later.

IMHO, two tones is not a good idea. You will have interactions unless you use the resistors, but the resistors will kill output. If you want to do that, however, just about any non-inductive resistor will work in this application. 1/2W metal films would be preferable for the lowest noise, though.

The switch will be DPDT, but you will only be using one of the poles to minimize switch pop.
  6. llldino

llldino

I'll just keep a master tone. Seems like the benefits wouldn't be all that great. Thanks a lot for your help/input.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

every marcus miller bass i've ever seen had an active bass boost and treble boost, not two tone controls.

now you could use two tones if the pickups were in series, and it's a neat sound, where killing one tone knob leaves you the boosted lows from two series pickups but the clear highs from only one.

danelecros with the stacked knobs do this.
  8. llldino

llldino

Clearly show's that I have no idea what i'm talking about lol.