1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rh450 Configurations ???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by theaxel, Feb 19, 2014.

1. theaxel

theaxel

Ive been looking at the tc electronics RH450 and think this is the amp i want to get, seems small enough and i think 450watts would be enough. but i'm wondering what cabinets people use with them. I was think of getting 2 of the rs212 cabs what are your guys thoughts, i want something that is still nice and portable(prefer to stay away from the rs410 cab)

What about a rs212 on the bottom and a rs210 on top?? i mainly like playing funk, jazz and rock but play a bit of everything.

2. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

I have one and currently run it through a Mesa PH212, but previously had a RS212 and RS210 stacked setup. It sounded pretty cool and the cabs were nice and light. The Mesa is a bit more open and clear, but the TC cabs were very warm, just like the head itself. I would definitely recommend the 212 over the 210 if you're playing a 5-string, though.

3. theaxel

theaxel

I think ill definitely be getting a rs212 but should i get two of them or get a rs212 and rs210 ??

4. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

I think I would personally prefer the sound of two 212 cabs, but I know many other people would want the 210. It's probably best that you try them both out. They're voiced very darkly, which could be a problem if you want a lot of hi-fi treble sizzle.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. theaxel

theaxel

Are there any other small D-class amps that are around the same power/size of that and have compact cabinets??

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

You said you've been "looking", but I have you played through one? First of all they are not 450 watts, they are more like 225 watts. There is a big thread on here about that if you search for it. Also the sound is one that you either love or hate. Personally I never cared for it, too wooly.

Check out the Carvin BX700 or the BX500 which on sale on eBay for $329 shipped.

8. BassOrdinaire

BassOrdinaire

They are 236 watts RMS, but they use some engineering trickery to squeeze more volume (or "perceived volume" if you prefer) out of the unit than you'd expect. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they sound close to a lot of 300/400 watt heads, although that obviously varies considerably based on EQ, playing style, and cab layout, among other things. It's an extremely thick, low-mid oriented sound with very little in the way of extended highs or lows.

I really dig the sound, but I'm thinking of making the switch to an Aggie TH500 because the TC really can't reproduce those super low B-string notes in the way that I'd like. I do wish other manufacturers took some cues from the features on the RH450/750 though. The three presets, tuner, and compressor are nice.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

As has been said, they are a 236 watt amp.

212 would be my choice between those two.

If you end up with a RS212, a second 212 is your best option.

There are lots of small in size amps out there right now. Cabs are a different story. No matter what, you still need displacement. So no matter what amp you have, or what the power specs are on the cabs you look at, if they dont have the displacement, you are not going to get low end volume out of them.

IMHO sacrificing low end and compressing the hell out of your sound to make an amp "Sound as loud as" a more powerful amp is a crock of dung.

10. imdkoz

imdkoz

I was running 2 RS 212 cabs with a Hartke LH1000 and just got my RH450 last night. WOW is all I can say. This thing is loud no matter what the "real" wattage. Like BassOrdinaire said, the presets, tuner and compression are great features. The Tubetone is Ok in moderation, for me anyway. Good luck!

11. theaxel

theaxel

i managed to get to play through a little mark 2 and love the sound of it! i think id rather that over anything else(or possibly the littlemark 3) it was through a 210 markbass cab, how do you reckon this would sound through the rs212's??

12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Honestly if you liked the sound of that rig then maybe that should be what you get. You can ask for opinions on how the rs212 will sound, but that doesn't mean you are going to like it.

13. sammyfallen

sammyfallen Supporting Member

I bought a Classic 450 and I must say it's one hell of an amp.

It may only be 200W but it's the loudest 200W you'll ever hear. I also own the Ampeg SVT 7 pro, so, I have a handle of appropriate wattage ratings.

I have always favored high power tube amps and this one delivers the tone and feel in spades.

FYI - Aside from the aforementioned micro's my favorite amps have been Acoustic 370, Fender Bassman 300 Pro, & SVT VR.

14. mcnach

mcnach

I owned the RH450 since 2009, sold it a few weeks ago, and own a Markbass LMIII, and a GB Shuttle 9.2.

The features on the RH450 were great, and it did not sound bad, but the Markbass sounded all round bigger and better, to me.
    If you liked that sound, do consider the Genz Benz Shuttle amps too, they are nice, big, with nice mids and top end.

A nice LMIII and a good 212 can be b very powerful combination.
    Look at Schroeder cabs too.

15. badboyb

badboyb

You will not have a problem with volume.
    This things gets crazy loud, definately as loud as most of the other class D's.
    It handles every gig I throw at it.

It has a warm, old school sound to it.
    Not a modern sounding amp.

Lots of options on the market these days, depending on what sound you want.
    The TC will beat them all on features, but the sound is a personal taste thing.

16. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Speaking of appropriate specs, the SVT 7 pro is 763 watts according to BGM bench test, not 1000 watts.

The TC stuff has its voicing for sure, and it was designed that way in an attempt to cop the sound of a pushed all tube amp through a sealed cab. The end result is something some people like and some hate.

Volume shouldn't be an issue with TC.

17. mcnach

mcnach

True, if volume is an issue using a RH450, it's probably more a matter of what speakers you're using.

The reason I ended up selling mine was that there was something on the bottom end I did not quite get along with. I can't put my finger on it. It sounded really good in the house, but when playing louder... it just never made me feel it was what I wanted. It did not sound *big* enough... it's hard to explain.
    That didn't prevent me from using it exclusively for years, and if you get a chance to pair the RH450 of a good 8x10 cab, that will make anyone smile :D
    But in the end it was not for me. I tried many cabs and combinations of cabs... and in the end the Markbass LMIII and the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 are the amps that give me the sound I want, from nearly all cabs... some better, some worse, but the sound I want is there.

I'd really advice someone getting an RH450, to make sure they try one first. They may love it... or they may find it a bit "meh". It's not a bad amp whatsoever, and it can be loud, but it certainly has something going on in its sound that's not for everyone.

18. el murdoque

el murdoque

That is a fairly good description of what i felt when testing the RH450. I did not take it to band practice, though and had no opportunity to test it in a loud environment.

19. vin*tone

vin*tone

A big plus 1 there from me. That footswitch was hard to wave goodbye to.

Actually - I wish TC would rebuild that thing, dump the "tubetone" garbage and make a no-nonsense balls to the wall powerful amp in that package. They easily have the tech know-how to do it, they just got too clever for their own boots.

They kinda-sorta tried to do that with the 750 but it still has their power management doo-doo. Just bin it. People would be crawling over each other to own one if they did that.

20. Musicman20

Musicman20

No one whinged about volume before they released the specs. I had a 450 and it kept up with the LM3 and was, IMO, louder, and didn't peak at 12 o'clock on the dial like the MB LM3 did.

I've now got a 750 and its a killer amp.

21. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I think this depends on the customer. The built in presets and tuner are a turn off for me.

I guess thats why they make shirts in more than one color. ;)