RHCP Air Guitar

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Bredian, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Bredian

Bredian

or does this belong under "recordings"

What would you pay to see RHCP hold their instruments? I can get that free on you tube.

I jest, but in a decade, when the actual game is played like "Big Time Wrestling" where the plays are staged, the game predetermined..... seems absurd, but you know it isn't...
  2. EricssonB

EricssonB

I take it you didn't see Flea's tweet.
  3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

They weren't allowed to play their instruments live. The NFL wasn't going to take the chance of something messing up sound-wise, and only the vox were live.
  4. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    After reading that you gotta respect the decision not to plug in. He could have avoided all this by plugging in and makin it look good but didn't want to try and trick anyone.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Now we have to respect people for being honest about lip syncing and miming? I reckon the RHCP have a good enough track record as a live act to get a pass on this one.
  7. ZZMorgan

ZZMorgan

There is certainly no doubt that they can play and I respect Flea's explanation and his decision.
  8. Bredian

Bredian

yea I read his tweet, doesn't justify the decision.

Makes me want to really pay attention to the wording of any event I'm watching or paying to watch.... is it "live music" or a "performance" .... reminds me of Bill Clinton's denial .. asking for a definition of the word 'is'

RCHP maybe should ask themselves.... why bring instruments? yea, we'll be talking about it for a short while because it was faked, but we're still talking about Janet and Justin's live "wardrobe malfunction" and of course Whitney Houston...live... the kinds of performances that won't happen prerecorded.

Since my original posting earlier tonight, I got out and saw a 20 piece live jazz horn band from about 20 feet away... awesome hit you in the chest kind of sound...
  9. Bredian

Bredian

Exactly.... just like I respect Dylan's endorsement of Fiat owned Chrysler, after endorsing Escalades in 2007..... kind of makes the lyrics hollow...
  10. someparts

someparts Supporting Member

They were there as a parody of themselves - so I see no harm.
  11. vladchrome

vladchrome

I respect that they didn't try and hide the fact that they were not plugged in. Fleas open letter was pretty honest and what I expect from the band. He also didn't try and say the NFL made them do it. Just simply explained their concerns and explained that the RCHP agreed to perform that way.
  12. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    What do you mean? There was no "decision" on RHCP's end. Unless you mean the decision to participate in the half-time show.

I've never been an RHCP or Flea fan, but they did the right thing given the circumstances. If you are shocked or upset or disappointed, be shocked, upset, and disappointed with the NFL for making the rules.

The whole half-time show is a joke. As is the superbowl and the NFL in general, but that's another topic.
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I wonder what the penalty clause was for sitting down with arms folded while the tape played.
  14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

The whole schmear was a train wreck. About the middle of the second quarter, I turned off the TV and dragged out an old electronic "vibrating" football game I had in the attic. Twice as exciting as the game itself, no commercials, and no $12 beers. To keep things real 30 minutes later, I stripped down to my undershorts and slammed my way through a few bars of "Higher Ground" on my Mill 5.

...then my wife called me down to dinner.

Riis
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I'm not a fan so I wouldn't pay to see them actually play for real. As far as the half time show is concerned, I have no respect for musicians who fake playing. Either do it live or don't do it at all. Otherwise, you are cheating the audience. Even though the NFL put restrictions on them, the band could have refused to do the show. Its not like they need the exposure. If I want to listen to a recording, I'll use my Ipod.
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    That a good way to get labeled as a hard-to-work-with diva in the entertainment industry.

Sometimes you gotta do stuff you dont want to do. Im sure Flea would have rather been live. Thats why he unplugged. Its probably as much of a statement he could make without the band ending up in hot legal water.
  17. LAST_C

LAST_C

I understand RHCP's position here. They were asked to perform under certain, probably uncomfortable conditions and they agreed because it means great exposition and promotion for the band and only bass freaks and geeks like us would notice they were unplugged.

He took the time to explain it and I'm fine with it. They're not the first and won't be the last performers to do it.

If I was asked the same thing, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
  18. Dubista

Dubista

Here's something that RHCP put up on their website regarding this thing.
  19. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I like how there is so much flak for the RHCP's, but basically nothing for Bruno Mars...who did exactly the same thing. Hell, it was his halftime show and he invited the RHCP's to play it.
  20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Their music is 'sacred' to them ... unless they get a call from the NFL. I won't say they are wrong to do it, but don't try to justify it, that's just weak.
  21. fmoore200

fmoore200

Another thread?! Can we just consolidate all the threads into one, or would the pure concentration of hate shut down the TB servers?

It's funny that the overwhelming theme on TB is "get out of the basement, loser. I play to gig." But then give flak to a band taking probably the biggest possible gig (if you consider the television audience) they will ever play. They did play 'live' at one point and then performed over that track. It wasn't like they popped in the BSSM disc and mimed over that.

I like flea's comparison to making a music video 'live in front of millions of people.' Do you guys take the same stance against music videos? You know those are not live performances, right?