1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

RHCP realization

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    RHCP are playing Barclay Center near me, I think tomorrow. Heard an ad on the radio, and in the background was a live version of Aeroplane. :)

There are some definite benefits to Fruciante having hit the highway. It hadn't occurred to me, till that ad. I've always been a chili pepper fan, can't say I've been a big Fruciante fan. I like his playing, but wish I'd never watched any interviews with him.

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

His solo discography is, by far, my favorite solo discography.

3. fmoore200

fmoore200

I'm just happy the super bowl hasn't affected (effected? :crying: ) traffic as much as i thought... They kept all that crap to 6th ave :hyper:

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    effect = noun
    affect = verb

you got it right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fmoore200

fmoore200

Sweet :D

Sorry to hijack your thread bte :bag:

To contribute: I liked the lineup that recorded "aeroplane" with Navarro in guitar

7. southpaw723

southpaw723

John Frusciante is the best guitarist in the last thirty years. I thought that since he's gone they should play some one hot minute stuff, but I didn't think they did. That's cool, I can't wait to see what they do at the Super Bowl.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I think RHCP hit their apex with BSSM... A lot of that was Fruciante and his writing... A guitar in his hands is a very different thing from one in DN's hands. I vastly prefer Fruciante's style.

Ymmv, ImO and the 40 other disclaimers that say to fans of Hogan's Heroes, " I know nothing!"

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I like Frusciante's work with the Peppers, definitely, but I also think One Hot Minute was a great album. If I remember right Navarro was coked to the moon and it prevented their being able to do much more with him. Each album that band put out was kind of a matter of who happened to be clean and sober enough to function that year.

And just to join the quibblefest, actually EFfect CAN be verb, if used in the sense of "put into action." If I AFFECT your plans, I do something to make you modify them, and then you can say I had an effect ON them; But if I EFFECT your plans, I'm the one who makes them happen.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Eh. He was no Hilel Slovak.

11. ggunn

ggunn

But then who is, eh?

I have no idea who Hilel Slovak is.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Jersey will get the traffic. NYC get's the money.

I hope this is the last time we fall for this hype.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

14. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

He was their original guitarist.

15. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

BSSM was the Chili's at their peak IMO, and yes, a lot of that was down to the magic delivered by Frusciante.

OHM was also a great album, and that was due in no small part to some great work by Navarro.

I actually bought Frusciante's first solo record when it came out and found it to be largely self-indulgent, unlistenable twaddle.

BSSM is the only RHCP album I still listen to from start to finish. All killer, no filler.

16. JimK

JimK

That lineup lasted one (1) album...for good reason, I guess.
    One Hot Minute (w/ Navarro) was released how many years after BSSM?
    Why'd it take 4 years between those two albums...'cause I'm with tituscrow...they hit their creative stride with BSSM.

After Hilel Slovak, I know they used "Blackbird" McKnight for a brief time...nothing out there with him playing with the RHCP?

17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I've seen a lot of negative reviews of "One Hot Minute", with, it seems, special attention given to Navarro's guitar playing. As for myself, OHM is by far my favorite Chili album, and Navarro's guitar playing is a big part of the reason why. Then again, I was a huge Jane's Addiction fan too.

To my ears, Frusciante was perhaps a bit better at accepting the fact that the Peppers are a bass band, not a guitar band. He's more in the pocket and grooving, where Navarro is a big, slobbering, psychedelic mess of a guitar player. But that tension between him and Flea is a big part of what makes OHM great, IMO.

It's also probably their heaviest record, and the last record they made that wasn't bland "adult alternative" ballads every other track. (Although, to be fair, I don't have their last couple of records, so maybe they've come back from that. I hated "Californication" and haven't paid much attention to them since.)

18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Uplift Mofo Party Plan was there best record hands down, great songs and they still had an organic punk funk thing going on, they just got slicker sounding after that, it was the last album with the original lineup. Mothers Milk wasnt bad but you could see the direction they were headed by then.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

OHM was a disaster to me and I've never been a fan of Navarro I like him better as a guest on Stern.

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Funny the only album that I still can stand and listen is the one with Dave Navarro. they really played some wierd stuff on that album.

21. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1. It's a great album IMO.

What's funny is that Kiedis was basically never clean & sober during any of the albums from OHM back to the beginning. I don't remember how he went after that. He's got some good genes as he looks pretty decent for someone who has been addicted to heroin as long as he was/is.

If anybody likes reading, Scar Tissue is a really good read. You don't have to like Kiedis or the Chili Peppers to enjoy it. Although it help a little :)