1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

rheumatoid arthritis

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassgrooves2, Dec 19, 2012.

1. bassgrooves2

bassgrooves2 Supporting Member

So I found out I have onset RA which really grinds my gears.
    I'm 30 years old and I play the bass about 20-30 hrs a week give or take. My RA is not debilitating, but it is most noticeably painful in the fingers of my left hand. Go figure.
    When I wake in the morning I can rarely make a clenched first with my left hand until at least 15-20 minutes have passed, sometimes longer.

I guess I'm wondering how many other TBers are dealing with RA and what tactics are being used to continue playing with RA.

Paying bass is a substantial source of income for me about half of the year so whatever u can do to help keep my hands in playing shape would be great.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

RA can be treated with supplements and diet. You can get 90% or better relief.

Supplements to take ... Skullcap, MSM, Cod liver Oil,

Foods to eat ... fresh fruit, fresh vegatables, freshly ground flax seeds.

Foods to avoid ... red meat, carbonated beverages, fried foods, white bread.

Also see a naturopath in your area. You may have to try a few before you find one you like.

There are some new prescription drugs that are effective without the bad side effects of older RA meds, but the new meds are pricey.

The bottom line is you don't have to suffer you can reduceor eliminate RA pain. Also you want to aggressively pursue this so you don't get permanant joint damage.

email or pm me and I can give you more comprensive information.
  3. fearceol

fearceol

Check out the sticky here. Arthritis is covered about half way down the page.
  4. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dude, 30?? I'm sorry. My dad had it late in life and I'm hoping I don't wind up with it. I'm going to take Jeff's advice myself.