1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rhythmic Delays?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newbold, Mar 2, 2014.

1. newbold

newbold

I know there are many delay pedals that offer a control on the delay offsets (quarter notes, dotted notes, triplets, etc) but I've only found one that you can control via expression.

The Line6 DL4 has it (but not the M series)

I'd love to find a small delay pedal with that feature controllable by expression.

I only have a little bit of room to spare on my board and a DL4 and expression doesn't fit.

Anybody?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Actually, the Line6 M series can control with expression.

3. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

I also believe the M series can. I have a couple digitech delays that can... Digitech Timebender, cool pedal for the rhythmic and musical delay functions.

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Styrmon timeline, ehx memory boy deluxe, ehx memory man tt 550, ehx memoryman tt1100, eventide timefactor, pigtronix echolution 2, there are a lot of delay with exp input I feel

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sprag

sprag

The mooger and mini fooger delays both have expression capabilities.

From what my dad tells me I am the product of rhythm method delay

7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Just to be clear, are we talking about using the expression pedal to change the offsets (from, say, quarter note to dotted quarter note), and not just the delay time (in ms for example)? I'm not sure if the M series does that, because I've never tried. You can choose various offsets and you can also control virtually everything else with the expression pedal, but I've never tried that specifically. Same story with the Eventide Factor series.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The M9 can change rhythmic offsets via expression. Very simple to set up, too.

9. Adamixoye

I'll take your word for it. It's actually something I've been meaning to try.

10. newbold

newbold

When I started to read the delays offered in the M line, rhythmic delays weren't on the list.

When I read a bit more I found this:

"
    Note that you can duplicate DL4’s Rhythmic Delay feature
    by setting tap tempo to your choice of note values
    —and you get to do that with any Delay Model!
    "

I'm looking to change the delay offsets only with expression (in that preset) as there's a tap tempo.

Until i read somewhere that it's available I'll be looking for a small pedal that can offer this.

Ideally it would be much smaller but that's asking a lot.

So far the M5 is the most modestly priced unit that offers this - if it works.

I presume that I'd just set my heel and toe values to having different offsets on the tap tempo parameters.

That would make the Multi-Head echo a lot more awesome.

11. Adamixoye

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "rhythmic delays weren't on the list." Every delay (I think) on the M5 can be set to either a time or an interval based on the tap tempo.

12. newbold

newbold

Exactly - it wasn't a separate delay on the list of offerings as it was on the DL4, but an additional menu parameter.

So when looking for it, as the M series has all of the XM4 selections, it wasn't on any list I'd found - I had to read the manuals and supplementals for that detail to come out.

13. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

The Strymon El Cap (and Brigadier?) can be controlled via exp.pedal on any parameter, so you should be able to control the rythmic division as well...

14. newbold

newbold

Loving this line but it's not an available parameter on the pedal itself. I'd like to be shown wrong about this though.

15. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

You're correct, must have mixed it up with the Flint - it has a secondary function for rythmic division of the external tap. The El Cap can do rythmic delays via the multi-head mode, but it doesn't seem to be changeable w/expression pedal.

The Brigadier has the divisions on a switch rather than a knob, wonder if it is accesible by exp.pedal...

16. newbold

newbold

I'm not expecting a lot from this query, though a tap tempo delay (even if it requred a separate switch) with a simple expression control like the Line6 stuff existed it would probably get my money before that amazingly feature filled M5 as long as it was small.

I really like that there's such a wide range of divisions. a few triplets options even. Pretty badass delays. I bet it'd be amazing to work those filters with my envelope phaser coming next.

Thanks for any help I get with this,