Rhythmic Instructional

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Bassman197835, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Im looking for some really! good tutorials on timing. Im an intermediate player. Most of my work is just basic pocket grooves. They sound fine and while I continually practice and play gigs. I dont feel my ability has increased much the last few years. Im not really looking so much for basic Bass tutorials but ones that focus on timing. Any ideas???

2. fedenybass

fedenybass Supporting Member

'The rhythm bible' helped be a lot. Mel bay I think. Good luck.

3. curiousgeorge77

curiousgeorge77

Yeah!

2 approaches.

(1) get a book like Syncopation For The Modern Drummer and work through all of the timing exercises in there, while ticking off the pulse. Drummer Benny Greb has a great video that walks you through this. He calls it the "rhythm alphabet"

(2) Ear training. If you can hear it, you can play it. Whenever you hear a song on the radio, start singing the 'ands', then the upbeat triplets, the 'uhs' and so forth. If you have trouble singing these faster layers, then you know where you can improve.

Singing the meter, the tick/tock in each of these layers (as per the book in the other thread) will help even more, especially for the more metrically complex patterns.

4. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Appreciate the advice guys!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Danny Morris

Danny Morris Berklee Bass Department

try working with James Jamerson transcriptions from the Standing In The Shadows of Motown book...the level of difficulty ranges from intermediate to advanced...try Home Cookin', the Junior Walker tune...key of Ab with bars of 6/4 interspersed...overall the lines from the book are super hip, and of course they're Jamerson...the lines come from the mind of one of the greatest to ever create and perform basslines... the challenges are multifaceted...from a reading perspective you have beautiful syntax; meaning the arrangement of notes combined with rests. Use the original versions as reference. Also the playalongs with the book have many of your favorite bassplayers introducing passionately how James Jamerson influenced them individually and collectively the entire shape of basslines from Motown on up to the present..it's a real great workout which will leave you with a healthy practice routine for years..this stuff takes a lifetime to digest..

7. Anthony Vitti

Anthony Vitti Fender Bass! - Professor Berklee College of Music

One thing I like to do is to just tap out rhythms with a metronome. You could take the Jamerson book (as Danny suggested) and just isolate 2, 4 or 8 bar phrases, loop them and just clap them out with a nome or groove. Then try to just play the rhythms on one note on your bass. The point isn't playing the line with this, it's feeling the rhythm with the time. You are on the right track with your focus. Feeling the music and rhythmic depth are crucial to a bass player. This will help your rhythmic vocabulary.

8. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Ya know I actually own that Jamerson book. "Shadows of Motown". I'll have to dig it out and make better use of it. I bought it at the same time I bought the best of James Brown. But I stuck to the Brown book. As you say though learning the songs is all I did.. Im a 'player' trying to be a 'musician' Ive got decent rhythm. Im just not where I wanna be. Or need! to be. This is all awesome advice everyone! I ordered the Rhythm Bible yesterday and will dig out the ol Jamerson today.
    Really appreciate the answers!!