1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ric 4003 vs 4004Laredo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member Supporting Member

OK, looking at the Ric web site. There's the 4003. Fine, lets see more. The 4004L Laredo looks pretty interesting. I go to Harmony Central ---pretty much 9 out of 10 reviews were bad, I mean BAD, as in "Rubbery" neck (that sounds scary) that is not reinforced, kind of a one trick pony as to tone, terrible set-up from factory and about ZERO customer support. I don't see such reviews on the 4003. What gives? Who's got first-hand experience on the Laredo?
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Very soon you will see posts claiming that ricks are horrible and made by blind monkeys in a factory in southern California.

Then you will see a bunch of posts claiming Rickenbackers are made of gold by God Himself.
  3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member Supporting Member

You are right, Ric5.

Please--no pro/anti fanatics about this. Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts from actual owners.
  4. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

I don't own a 4004 but I have a 4003 and as far as I know they use the same neck for both basses. My 4003 neck is solid and based on that I wouldn't be worried about a 4004 neck if I was going to buy one.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Back to the real world ...

The 4003 is a classic improved version of the 4001 bass. The 4003 has loud aggressive and distinctive single coil pickups. The negatives are the archaic bridge design, and uncomfortable binding.

The 4004L and 4004cii basses have 2 Rickenbacker Humbuckers. The wiring is 1 volumne and 1 tone and 1 toggle. The 4004 is a darker more somber sounding. The 4004 can be retrofitted with single coil pickups and stacked pots to make it sound like a 4003.
  6. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Hey Ric5: I was unaware of that option!

Has anyone actually done that p/u swap-out and posted with their comments on the results?
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

They use the same neck now, for about 2 years +/-. Before then they had different necks.

The early 4004 basses from the 90s had a slightly werker neck. The Rickenbacker strengthened the neck, and then they started using the same necks for both.

I like the 4004 basses a lot. But I don't like them stock.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Here is a Cii I did such to, was a great bass, but during that period 2004 the necks were a bit on the chunky side so I sold it a few years later.
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The Rickenbacker hb-1 and the high gain pickups have the same footprint.

Here is a 4004 with toasters http://www.3dentourage.com/425/05-4004cii5.htm (the pickups don't look like toasters because of the gold covers)

This 4004 here has a high gain in the neck and a custom made single coil bridge pickup http://www.3dentourage.com/425/4004cii-5-mb-2.htm

Theis 4004 here has had about a dozen different pickup combinations http://www.3dentourage.com/425/93-4004L-5-2.htm
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

What is a rubbery neck?

The main fault of the 4004 necks is some of them are too strong.
  11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

These days I have a Dec '11 (NAMM Show 2012 Laredo bass that is stock except for moving a washer for the selector switch from inside the cavity to the front side under the nut on the front face. Great tone with TI Jazz Flats!
  12. Rickenjosh

Rickenjosh

looks like a 4001s without a pick-guard and different pups IMO, cool vibe. Always thought that Lemmys hand carved one was awesome.
  13. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Your drummer is enjoying the serene sounds of your bass in that photo.