1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Ric middle position help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Iheartreverb, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Oct 31, 2013
    I'm wired up as per the spec on the Ric website but I'm finding a massive drop in low end and volume in the middle position compare to either pickup on their own.

If I taper the volume down slightly this helps but the result (even by rolling a volume off less that 1/4 is I lose the signal from that pickup completely.

Everyone I see with a Ric is using the middle position and if like to get a result of the neck with a bit of the bridge clarity in there.

Can anyone tell me how normal this is and offer any advice?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered Panther Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Did you do a pickup replacement or rewiring recently? What you describe will result when the two pickups are wired out of phase with each other. Try reversing the hot/ground leads on ONE of the pickups.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

Oct 31, 2013
    Had it looked at as it was really noisey and I wasn't convinced it was wired to Ric spec when I got it.
    Guy wired it correct and added another ground wire to quiet it down (which didn't work) but even before this work was done I have always lost low end and volume in middle and had same result from pots

5. What ctmullins said. Out of phase. Betcha.