Ric-O-Sound wiring schematic?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by willsellout, Jan 2, 2012.

1. willsellout

willsellout

Does anyone have one? The pre wired harnesses from POTR are too large so I need to wire it.

Thanks!

Dan
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  3. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Yeah, SGD is right, POTR just sell the stuff RIC makes for their basses anyway. So unless you have a really old bass why wouldn't it work? The wiring harness has been the same size for 10+ years IIRC.

It's actually a simple enough idea but, if you've never tried it, you're going to love how it sounds. I've been lucky enough to use ROS in recording studios and the results are nothing short of ear candy.
  4. willsellout

willsellout

My bass was made in 97'. I bought the POTR pre wired set and it didn't fit. Sucks, but true. Thanks for the help!

Dan
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. willsellout

willsellout

To clarify, the jacks are too large. Every time I put them in and try to plug the cables in, they don't fit. There isn't enough room for the legs of the jack to move so that the cable could plug all the way in. Does that make sense?
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    You may have to rotate the jacks a little. The way I install the jacks is to remove the chrome jack plate, and insert the jacks into the openings from the inside. Then see if they need to be repositioned. Then place the jack plate over them and put the nuts on. This way you can spin them around a little if you have to. But all of the POTR parts are right from Ric themselves.
  8. 4001

Just get a stereo Y splitter and a stereo cable.
  9. willsellout

willsellout

I tried that rotating them. nothing worked. Comparing the old wiring kit to the kit that POTR sent me, the wiring was way too bulky. Lots of shrink wrap. Just wouldn't fit right. It has to be wired by hand I think.

And to be honest, Ric isn't the most consistent in parts, guitars, or anything else for that matter, so it doesn't surprise me that parts directly from Ric don't fit a Ric:D
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Well that's true. They didn't use shrink tubing on my 2 Rics, since it didn't exist at the time.

I seem to remember that I had to take a rat tail file to one of the jack tunnels for something once. Maybe this same problem.

Two questions; what happened to the original jacks? And why would you need a schematic if you have the parts in front of you?

I'd try cutting off the shrink tubing with a razor blade, and also sometimes you need to bend the solder lugs in a little with open frame jacks.
  11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Old threads are old, BUT...

Would this work with a J bass setup (V,V,T) if you split the volume knobs?
  12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Yes. You would need a dual ganged, or stacked tone control if you wanted it to work with both pickups.