1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ric or not to Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender2015, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Fender2015

Fender2015 Gold Supporting Member

Thinking about selling all gear and buying a Ric. Any opinions? Don't like tone of my American Jazz bass. Thinking of getting ric or deluxe precision with pj set up. What ya think?

2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Well,
    You will have to change your name to RIC2015.... ;-P

3. KablesP

KablesP

What don't you like about the Jazz? I only have experience with a Rickenfaker (Univox) but I also have a Fender Jazz bass Special (P/J) and its a really great bass. P body with Jazz neck is perfect for me.

4. Fender2015

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fender2015

Jazz bass has great lows but I miss having a higher end

7. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Great bass. I have a Ric...4003 Monty Brown

But I don't use it for everything...I could..but find the P or J more comfy..so grab that first.

It's damn versatile...but I got the one with the super chunky neck and the toaster pickup.

Depends on what music you play too..

8. Mockyngbyrd

Mockyngbyrd

Go for the Ric. Got my first one 6 months ago and I like it a lot.

9. rocmonster

rocmonster

I loved having my Ric but could never get a full range of tone to cover the sound I needed for different songs. My Ric sounded like a Ric. My Jazz, however, can be made to sound like a Ric, a Jazz, a PBass, and nearly anything except maybe a Wal, and I could probably get close to that with a pup/preamp change. The fact is I never liked the feel of the Ric, where as I love the feel of my Jazz.

Just my two cents.

10. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Look for a 70's Ibanez Ric copy. Almost as good as the real thing at a fraction of the price.

11. Fender2015

I was looking for the ibanez copy, but i wasn't sure if it sounded like the ric or just looked like it

12. baba

baba

Try using just the bridge pickup and then crank the treble knob if needed.

13. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    I've been on a Rick-kick lately, really enjoying them. Contrary to "rocmonster" I don't think a Jazz can sound like a Ric, nothing really does IMO. They're different than what you're used to with a Jazz but once you figure them out they're as versatile as any two pickup bass. The second bass I owned was an old '72 Ric that I bought used in about 1983 and I still dig playing it today.

14. Jonithen

Jonithen Supporting Member

I got a Rickenbacker 4003 so I don't really need my Precision Deluxe anymore, you can get a good deal on it in the classifieds ;-)

15. msact

Both. I have one. The only real differences are a bolt on neck and mono output. Otherwise, it's just about as good as the real thing.

16. KablesP

KablesP

I'm not sure if its because it was a copy, but my Univox always had this vintage vibe to it. Not that its a bad thing but I didn't always want to have that sound. The neck was great though, super easy to play.

17. Fender2015

I am looking for the Ibanez, I posted a wanted ad, but no responses yet

18. eriky4003

eriky4003

Tough call. I own one (4003) and it has a distictive tone to it if only using the regular input. If you can try one without going in with 'rose-coloured glasses' objectively listen and see if you're going to enjoy the tone as well as the feel then go for it. On the bright side, you could probably turn around and sell it for the same amount so you wouldn't lose much and you'd scratch that Ric itch.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I would most definitely play one first

20. msact

I found mine on Ebay. It was also on reverb.com. You need to look through these sites continually because when an Ibby Ric copy pops up it doesn't last long.

21. Fender2015

Yeah, I saw one on Reverb but it was a mess, had to fix it up which is hard with a '74.